Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Back from the Dominican Republic, great honeymoon and fantastic skies.

bomberbaz

Well I went in anticipation of a good time and my expectations were exceeded in every single way. I wont bore you with the actual honeymoon part, well maybe just a bit  :grin:

I ate more steak in 3 weeks, (yes 3 weeks) than I normally eat all year. Beach parties with bbq'd lobster, swim up bars, people who actually wanted to make your holiday fun, totally amazing.

post-26735-0-25768500-1402431330_thumb.jpost-26735-0-38912100-1402431272_thumb.jpost-26735-0-20477700-1402433777_thumb.j

Anyway, enough about that. First time ever I saw a sun halo, first time for everything i think!. Are they rare or have i just not looked in the right place before?

post-26735-0-26612400-1402431438_thumb.j

Onto the evening. I took a SW 100p with me in the suitcase along with a cheapo camera tripod. Being honest the nightlife was so amazing there I only really used it twice, the hard part was getting used to a night sky filled with unusual loking constelations. The plough for example looked upside down and Polaris was only about 20 degrees up. (ps I am in the UK) 

So on my first effort I just had a play about star hopping, from the balcony (balcony auto light unscrewed of course) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was actually easier then I thought as my eyes were adjusted enough to see a few stars but not too many. 

What did I see, first timers were M7 open cluster. Totally amazing for an open cluster. Compact and beautiful. I also got globulars M22, M28 & M54. The first two I could just make out some of the brighter stars with averted vision but M54 was little more than a smudge. I also managed several clusters around Antares M4,19,62. but again they weren't spectacular due to lack of aperture although still pleasing to have managed to hit them.

We other open clusters M18, 23, 25. Less spectacular than M7 in the small scope but again still very pleasing to find them in the sky.

Last two new views were M20 Triffid Nebula which even with a UHC filter showed only marginal nebulosity and lastly M8 Lagoon nebula which was the main event. Even with a 4" scope (32x) and UHC filter it was amazing. I was only outside viewing for about 3 hours in which I got most of the above DSO's. I spent an unfair share of that time viewing the lagoon and M7. I was taken away by these two beauties, truly amazing. (wish i had a 8" scope with me)

I nealry forgot old favourite Saturn, Jupiter and Mars. All 3 available together, brilliant. When I left the room to go out, most evenings you were met by lovely dark skies that even with the low level lighting in the complex, you could see a fair amount of the cosmos. Especially on the beach. 

Anyway, when I wasnt watching the skies i had a nice quiet time, haha!

post-26735-0-39423400-1402433688_thumb.jpost-26735-0-85656500-1402433640_thumb.jpost-26735-0-27544300-1402433664_thumb.j

It sounds Like you had a great time Steve :laugh:  and you managed to get some observing in too. That has to be a good thing.

The night sky has been perfectly clear every single night here in the UK while you have been away :grin:

Where did you stay to get dark skies? We are off to Domincan in July and staying in Punta cana . All I have that is Airplane friendly is a pair of 10x50 binos. Would love to take my Helios 20x90 but they are a little on the large side especially as they need a tripod .

Even more to look forward to now. Can't wait !!

PS Congrats on getting married !

Thanks for the kind words guys, it was an amazing place and I wasn't trying to make you jealous, honest  :evil:

In future if we are going away and there are prospects of darker skies i am going to take my 100p, absolutly cracking little scope for the money, luv it.

PS, its now the 13th and its my birthday, 21 again.  :eek:

Where did you stay to get dark skies? We are off to Domincan in July and staying in Punta cana . All I have that is Airplane friendly is a pair of 10x50 binos. Would love to take my Helios 20x90 but they are a little on the large side especially as they need a tripod .

Even more to look forward to now. Can't wait !!

PS Congrats on getting married !

We were in Ocean Blue and Sands, Bavaro Beach. Amazing place, lovely people. I would go back tomorrow vlebo

my ex's family own several thousand acres over there... i was looking at it on google maps and noticed a small shack right in the middle which i said i wanted for an obsy :D but she's an ex now so ho hum...

Looks like the hotel I was in, the Hamaca in Boca Chica. Did you do the safari tour and the Saona Island trip ??

Awesome place!!

yeah did the safari tour, that was fun. Also did horse riding, buggies and Santa Domingo. Our hotel was Ocean Blue and Sand in Bavaro Beach. Was amazing really.

Thanks for birthday wishes also all, I had a quiet one (not) haha

Archived