Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Cat's Eye Nebula

WaveSoarer

After what seems like an age I set up the telescope to have a look at the Cat's Eye Nebula, NGC 6543 (C6). I had planned my star hop using my binoculars a couple of weeks ago and there was a fairly obvious point of light in just about the right place. It was stil not all that dark after I'd polar aligned the mount and had the telescope ready to go, so I had a look at M57 instead. It's really easy to find and has such a high surface brightness that it's easly visible even in the late twilight and the moon at first quarter.  Once it was a bit darker I could then perform my star hop to the Cat's Eye Nebula and a faint point like glow was apparent in the finder - just as I'd seen with my binoculars. At first glance, through the main scope, I could see two realtively bright points of light. One of these was the nebula and the other was its neighbouring star - giving the appearance of a binary.  With my 15 mm EP the nebula looked stellar with perhaps a slight elongation to it. The colour was more of a give away, though, as it was very clearly a vivid green. At higher power the colour was less obvious but it was now a fuzzy elongated ball rather that a sharp point of light like its companion. An intersting object and well worth a visit for the colour alone.

I observed the Cats Eye nebula last year from home.

Smaller PN's can handle a bit of LP and moon light, I've also found that they are pretty quirky in that you can see a lot of detail inside them by using very high magnifications.

They are also another good reason to look forward to the end of summer as there are tons of them around. :)

My notes say that I increased the mag (up to nearly x300) to help show the shape and direction of the halo and central star but made the sketch at x236. I think the colour I used was pretty close, maybe it was a little darker?

post-20821-0-76006100-1402294786_thumb.j

Nice and high in the sky as well! I'll give it a go once the moon goes. I'd always assumed that this one was beyond "normal guy" scopes as we hardly see it get a mention on this forum.

Come to think of it. Other, than the Orion / horses head, the ring and the odd nod to the Eskimo. Nebulae seem to be much neglected in the Observing sections of this forum.

We could start a splinter group. The Nebula Appreciation & Study Association!!

I spent a bit of time with the Eagle and Trifid nebulae the other evening and found them fascinating viewing.

Paul

That's a good idea Paul. I think that planetary nebulae can be quite tricky as they are small and they don't all have a high surface brightness. They are quite satisfying to find though. M1, the crab nebula, is very rewarding as is M27, the dumbbell nebula and M76, the little dumbbell. If you're up for a challange have a look for NGC 6781 (The Ghost of the Moon) and not too far away from this is NGC 6804 and NGC 6803. I've yet to view the Trfid nebula through my scope as it's just a bit low from my garden. I'd need be brave and go for a trip to a dark site for this.

Dave

Dave

I'll have a crack at your suggested triplet of NGC's. I'm a sucker for a good recommendation.

Below are my notes on the Trifid Nebula from the night of the 5th / 6th - if you can get this baby under a dark haze free sky......

*** M21 & Trifid Nebula (M20) - A bright fairly tight open cluster with a couple of strands of bright stars trailing through towards the a Trifid Nebula. Both sit comfortably in the same 1.25 field of view. The nebula was unmistakable in direct vision with some texture and dark lanes in averted vision. I'm looking forward a visit for the double at M21's centre.

When you are in the area. Check out the Eagle and Swan/Omega nebulae.

Paul

Great stuff Paul. Those are good notes by the way. Be aware that the objects I've listed are pretty faint. Have the fun is finding them to be honest. NGC 6781 does yield a little detail if you stick with it.

Michael, I didn't use my filters (I have an OIII and a UHC) but I'll do so the next time I get a chance.

Archived