Narrowband

Skywatcher Skymax 150 Pr0 (SMT) v Celestron C6 (SCT)

Did a head to head comparison between both of them a while ago and found very little to choose optically between them although liked the views through the C6 slightly more.

The C6 is a lot lighter and can be mounted on a smaller mount which has advantages for easy transportation.  The C6 holds colimation very well and didn’t need collimating very often despite being carried about. As mentioned the Skymax 150 is more robust but so much heavier. 

After the comparision I kept the C6 as it’s better portability made it the better choice for me.

John

I've owned both (briefly) but not at the same time and neither for very long.

The Skymax 150 operates at a bit less than an effective 150mm, probably around 140mm. It still produces better planetary and stellar images than the C6 though, IMHO. The C6 is a better all rounder perhaps and better on deep sky objects.

If I was going for a 6" mak-cassegrain today I'd be looking for an Intes-Micro I feel.

I had both at the same time for a spell. Like others have said- the Mak was slightly better optically, although there's not a lot in it. It comes with better accessories - 50mm finder and 2inch diagonal. It's heavier, but that may not be an issue on it's own- you could probably get away with a slightly lighter mount for the C6, but I used an AZ4 which handled both OK.

I'd almost certainly go for the Mak, unless you can get a real bargain on a C6- and even then - I'd probably still go for the mak!

7 hours ago, 25585 said:

How much heavier is the 150 than C8? 

According to Skywatcher, the Skymax 150 is 12.3 pounds. The C8 is 12.5 pounds. It's a wash.

The C6 is 10 pounds, which is the comparable aperture. The weight difference is made up by the thicker corrector on the Mak.

Archived