Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

31mm Nagler - is it big enough?

DRT

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is well worth it. From a dark site, with an OIII filter it is lovely. Either a biggish dob to give you close up detail, or a widefield frac which will fit the whole complex in. With good dark adaptation it is wonderful to see. The North American nebula is another very large faint one, best in a Widefield frac I think.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Stu.

I've never looked at the Veil - one for the to do list.

I'd make it a "must see" :grin:  

It's been one of my top astro objects to view ever since I first glimpsed it with a 100mm refractor and a UHC-S filter. It's complex of objects really with two of the components being amongst the most lovely nebulae in the sky. A good UHC or O-III filter makes a massive difference with this object taking it from barely being glimpsed to "wow ! - how did I miss that ?!!!"

Easy to find too as Cygnus climbs higher in the Summer sky. Just wait for a Moonless night.

Taking a slight diversion back to the original question, I was reading just now that Matthew (Dirksteele) uses or has used a 41mm Panoptic in his 11" SCT from Hampshire. Maybe worth a pm for his opinions?

Stu

Great thread above folks,

I used to have a 10"lx200, at a dark site I plopped in a Monnfish 30mm 80 eg ep. I was amazed with the view, so whilst I admire you chaps with your TV's, I could not justify one (unless the redunant nagler in your arsenal is going at a good price Derek  :smiley:). So I look forward to seeing this scopos !

Best Regards

Damian

AKA Tackle Tramp not Tackle Tart :laugh:

• 1 month later...

After (not very) carefully considering the feedback here I have now added a full set of TV Plossls (excluding 32mm and 55mm) and a 12mm T4 Nagler.

Hi, I'm Derek, I'm addicted to Televues :help:

Does anyone have a Panoptic 41mm or a Nagler 3-6mm Zoom they don't need? :evil:

Congratulations and commiserations, at the same time, Derek, for getting hooked on TV eyepieces. 

From someone who has been down the long and expensive road, beware getting hooked on the Ethos range as they will start to supplant your Naglers and lighten your wallet further in the process.

I'd also suggest that you don't try any Pentax XW's or Delos's as they will place additional strain on your will power  :rolleyes2:

Before you know it, the contents of your eyepiece case are worth more than any of your scopes .......

I am looking forward to comparing the Nag 12mm and the Ethos 13mm. Both are approaching the limits of my CPC1100 and it will be interesting to see what the extra £200 is all about.

I do like the design of the T4s. Very easy to use and very easy to adjust to suit different needs.

Delos? What's a Delos? Never did have one of those yet!!

Yep :-)

I once asked this wonderful forum for help to reduce my collection by choosing whether I should sell my 17 or 21 ethos. The messages I received pretty much all suggested keeping both, or buying more! :-)

I once asked the same advice and the lovely folk on here didn't help me or my bank balance one iota! :)

Kidding of course... I never did ask this advice. Probably should have though, in hindsight!

^^ This ;):D

That's what I'd do. You have an 8" Dob as a second scope. Go big, go Dob, get treat yourself :grin:

I've just agreed to buy a 12" Skywatcher Flextube. Picking it up on Sunday - can't wait!

Anyone feeling the 31mm Nagler needs to put on bread and water, take a look at the 3 inch eyepiece made by Tim Wetherell in "making you own eyepieces " in this section. Makes the Nagler look dinky.

Alan. 

I've not used a Meade 5000 30mm UWA but it looks fatter than the N31 and, from the specs, seems to be nearly 1lb heavier. I guess the optical layout of the Meade and Nagler are not dissimilar so the additional weight must be in the bodywork I suppose.

John,

I bought the 30mm Meade UWA and used it for about 6-9 months then had an illness relapse and bought the 31mm Nagler. I never had the two together but I believe the Meade may even be a bit heavier than the TeleVue. I posted the 30mm and the 5.5mm UWA to a guy when I was in England, OK it was in a box with poly bits and pieces and the 5.5mm weigh less than 500grams, the parcel was 3.6KG, I nearly died.

I have the shipping weight of the 30mm Meade in front of me, 1360g but that will include the box, which is well enough made to live in.

I actually liked the Meade and the FOV is a little flatter but the edge suffers but not much. I had the 31mm out last night in the LX, I should use it more it is a very fine eyepiece.

Alan

Alan, did you ever get over that (TV) illness?  :grin:

I keep half an eye out for a second hand 30mm Meade UWA or 30mm ES for if I every should come into a bit of money...  :grin:

On topic: I'd say no too and get a wide field refractor instead!

Ben,

I don't think one is ever over an illness like this, when you think you have everything you want and go into remission then a new range hits the market and your back to square one. I sort of feel I have all I need now and there are one or two to go, an area of action could be the 31mm Nagler or 35mm Panoptic, I use the Pan so much but can't so goodbye to the 31mm because it took me ages to find secondhand, I just kept missing them when they came up.

I have a similar battle with the 21mm Ethos and 20mm Nagler, don't need both but can't make up my mind which to keep.

I feel it it the short end of the eyepiece range where you can be forgiven for have 2 or even 3 different eyepieces with same focal lengths, at least that's my excuse.

Alan

Oh, I don't know, I think you can do just as well at the other end! I've ended up with a few in the 20s. You can justify the plossls for good contrast and light transmission, and the big fat widey angle things for big fat widey angle views!  :grin:

Archived