Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st attempt of imaging the ISS last night....

well last night i thought it was going to be clouds and i looked outside when the 1st of the 2 iss passes were due and it was real nice, the 1st past at 11pm i viewed and it was real nice viewing, so i put my scope out and set it up ready to try to image the 2nd pass at midnight, i tracked it manually and captured it with my QHY5L-ii but it came out horrible lol 

i know what the problem was the QHY5L-ii shuter speed was way to long, i had it set to 22.17 milliseconds and i captured 25 frames of the iss out of 4000, but this is what they pretty much all came out like (dont laugh lol)

14179187310_323a836d8c_z.jpgISS - 22.17 milliseconds ( i need to aim for 0.4 ms) by tingting44, on Flickr

now i have been going through some ISS captures by people on here and they aim for a shutter speed of around 1/2000th and 1/2500th, now my image capture software (firecapture) captures in milliseconds and not seconds so its confusing me a bit, so if i were to aim for a shutter speed of 1/2000th in milliseconds would i divide 1000 by 2000 which = 0.5 milliseconds right?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you use your scope like an anti-aircraft gun?!  Good catch though...

i certainly did lol, it was an experience at one point i was nearly lying on the ground to keep it in view in my telrad lol, the problem i had is i focussed on saturn to gain focus then i left the exposure the same as it was for on saturn, which obviously is way to slow for the ISS which is why its blown out and trailed, hopefully ill nail it tonight on atleast 1 of the 3 passes....

If I were you I'd set up few traffic lights up in the sky and just stop the ISS for a quick photo...and since the astronauts are already aware of you and feeling self-conscious they'd happily agree so everybody could get on with their lives :D

If I were you I'd set up few traffic lights up in the sky and just stop the ISS for a quick photo...and since the astronauts are already aware of you and feeling self-conscious they'd happily agree so everybody could get on with their lives :D

:icon_compress:  :icon_compress:  :icon_compress:  they are so inconsiderate arn't they lol

I think it's a bit less than 0.5 ms, around 0.4 ms if my maths is right :smiley: I have had a go at the ISS in the past and it's a really tricky so and so to capture  :smiley: Have you seen Thierry Legault work

http://legault.perso.sfr.fr/STS-133.html

Thanks mate, i just checked, 0.4ms is 1/2500th and 0.5 ms is 1/2000th, think ill start off with 0.4ms for the 1st pass tonight, your right it is a tricky one, hopefully ill nail it tonight and tick another goal off my checklist for this year (fingers crossed), then i just have to image a comet to complete my 2014 check list :D

yes Thierry's work is outstanding :)

Nice one. I tried to track in the dob. Bit too fast for me!

Thanks Bish, yes its a mighty fast little blighter isnt it, proving a rather nice challenge tho and very different to imaging planets or deep space :)

Spot on, well done.

What settings did you use in the end?

Thanks buddy :) 

these are the settings i went with

- ROI=1280x960 (i plan to lower this a lot to get my FPS up a lot faster)

- FPS (avg.)=12

- Shutter=0.150ms

- Gain=300

Wow! That's a very nice catch. I wish you all the best at framing some comets, enjoy your viewing.

Thanks a lot :)

Is it worth setting up the Gain and shutter on the moon first? Your settings look a good basis to work on anyway. I trust no barlow was used? Hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes you want to gain focus on the moon, but dont gain your exposure on the moon, the ISS is VERY bright, you want to aim for atleast 0.4 ms, i captured this at 0.150ms and that was with my televue x2 barlow cutting the light in half, if i had not of used the barlow i could have not exposed quick enough to not blow out the ISS i would have thought.... good luck and let me know how you get on :)

This is absolutely marvellous. Well done. I thought this was completely beyond normal people without expensive kit, I should have known better than to doubt.

Thank you Matt for your lovely comments :)

just goes to show if i can do it any one can lol :D

Archived