Hi from West Yorkshire UK

Gash

HI Gary and welcome

, there are a few astro societies  groups in the west Yorkshire area, take a look at the groups  and societies section of the forum, any of them are willing to help out newbies,  I have been here a while, and still learning something new every day .

Leigh (Live in Light polluted Leeds)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gary. Couple of easy things to start you off. Make sure that the mount is level. On some mounts there is a bubble level built into the mount. Next make sure your finder scope is aligned to the telescope. Ie. make sure that view through the finder scope is replicated in the eyepiece. Next ensure your GPS setting and time settings are correct. If you have an iPhone, it will show your latitude settings. If not you can pick up your coordinates for where you live pretty easy. Next I guess is the star alignment. The Summer Triangle of vega , Altair and Deneb are great ones for beginner alignment as they are so bright. I recommend you get yourself a good star atlas or even 'turn left at Orion' which is a great book for beginners.

Enjoy your new hobby. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Hi Gary welcome to SGL from another West Yorkshire member.

I don't own a cassegrain telescope so I could not comment on alignment. However you could try taking the scope out during the day and align the finderscope to the eyepiece on a building or object in the distance.

If you have not already download stellarium which is a free astronomy showing the constellations, planets, DSO's and has a lot of other useful features.

Good luck and clear skies.

Archived