Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star diagonal and Skywatcher Quattro 10" - will it focus?

Hi

Please forgive the newbie question, but ...

I have balanced my new Skywatcher 10" for imaging - guide scope on top, 30mm DSLR/Coma Corrector attached to the focuser underneath.

During an evening of viewing I would also like to sometimes remove the camera and insert an eypiece for direct viewing - the problem is that I need to be about 3 feet tall and have a hinge in my neck to look into the eyepiece. (Note that I cannot rotate the tube because the guide scope would throw the sytem out of balance - not to mention that it would be a pain to have to re-balance multiple times during a session).

The simple solution would be to buy a star diagonal but I have read that some scopes do not have enough focus travel to work with a diagonal.

Does anyone know if the Skywatcher Quattro 10" will focus when using a diagonal?

Cheers
Mike

Thank you Peter - it is what I have heard but still hoping that the Skywatcher's focuser has enough travel.

Nice images of the moon in your gallery by the way. I've not tried the moon yet; do you need to use a special filter to reduce the brightness or increase contrast in the shadows?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, some people prefer to use a Moon filter for visual (I do), an ND96 0.9 (ND = Neutral density) is the best one in my opinion, giving 13% transmission.  Don't know about the astrophotgraphy side though.

Hi Mike,

The quatro scopes are optimised for astrophotography so the focal point is arranged to be further out of the focuser... in the same way as the PDS scopes.

Most pictures I have seen of these appear to have an extension added for use with Eyepieces... therefore, it is just possible that a star diagonal fitted directly into the focuser, rather than the extension, would work.

As Peter has stated though... most Newtonian scopes cannot use a star diagonal...so  you may still have problems with inward focuser travel... can you borrow a diagonal to try it... you may just be lucky.

Hope you find a solution... other than digging a hole to stand in that is :rolleyes:  :laugh:  :tongue:

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

A 1.25" fit mirror diagonal has the least light path length, if you have a Barlow with a lens that can be unscrewed then fitting just this to the eyepiece might give you just a bit more focus room without increasing the native magnification too much.  :smiley:

Thank you Peter - it is what I have heard but still hoping that the Skywatcher's focuser has enough travel.

Nice images of the moon in your gallery by the way. I've not tried the moon yet; do you need to use a special filter to reduce the brightness or increase contrast in the shadows?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, I haven't used a filter for my Moon imaging. Example below. Some more experienced folk may chip in and comment though on contrast benefits of doing so.

post-35542-0-47980600-1401367373_thumb.j

cheers

Mike

No filters, just careful stacking and tweaking in Photoshop.

Just noticed your login name, sorry if I called you Peter by mistake.

Peter is my name, Cornelius is my great, great, great, great, great uncle. Follow the wiki link for more info on the Varley family.

Thank you all for your replies - they are much appreciated.

It sounds like a 1.25" might be an option.

Thanks "StarForming" let me know if If you get a chance to test it .

Cheers

Mike

Archived