NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Breathless clear night.

No Moon and increasing darkness from 10 until 2.30. A sweet shop of treasures with the first signs of the Milky Way through Cygnus .

The Brightest part of the Eastern Veil to me, NGC 6995 glowed lightly with a UHC filter at x50. Leaving this in showed a very bright fluffy" Dumbell " M27, best for me at just under x100.

Without the filter I managed a huge and clear "Ring" at x220, taking over the fov. Back to Cygnus and a low power scan along the length showed the Cygnus "Star Field " just glowing with clusters. Some very bright colours here.

Up to a recumbent Ursa Major and a wonderfully bright M82, another bright star just along from the last SN, here's hoping !

Saturn was up high at 11, but a bit wobbly, even a sub £40 zoom caught the Cassini at x50 and the surface markings.

The whole of Virgo was up with Mars and I found some stunning doubles there , including the two wide fainter companions to Spica at x50 and a split Porrima at x260.

It was lovely to see Altair rising high with Delphinus and M71 in Sagitta.

Very high and a stunning sight in Serpens is the sparkling M5, a real treat. With a delicate double beta at x50 showing a wide +10 magnitude companion to the +3.7 main. 59 Serpentis showed yellow and blue and the best was theta Serpentis showing twin very bright eyes at x50.

There was little dew and no breeze, but it got quite cool , especially the

Clear Skies,

Nick.

Great report, Nick! I thought the skies were splendid our way. I couldn't believe how good M13 was, and Saturn and Mars took mag well. My first sight this time around of the Veil. I have normally packed away for the season by this time of the year. I might just carry on!

Was really nice here too , had a couple of hours just scanning around the Milky Way with the 15 x 70 binocular , should probably have had a go at capturing Saturn but wasn't in the mood for thinking too much ...  :p

Nice report. Had a good clear night here last night for the first time in a while - and of course I wasn't able to get out observing due to circumstances. Cloudy again for the week!

Yes, I had a great night as well catching my favourite DSOs (ie those I can easily find) and a couple I haven't managed before. I wasn't able to take the larger scope out sadly but I enjoyed using the ST120 on new AZ4 so I was VERY happy.

Nice report Nick glad to hear some one got out, looks like it cleared here overnight, what is the cheap zoom ep and how do you rate it

Yo, it's the 8-24mm Starguider from Alan. I put a review on somewhere ! It is good for alignment and fetching up double stars. Often when you get down to 5" they sometimes don't look double until you twist up the magnification. Definitely a good buy for travelling with a frac under those elusive

Clear skies,

Nick.

Thanks for your report. I had a great sessions last night too, with Mars, Saturn, some of the doubles you listed previously in Hercules and Draco, followed by some globulars and comet K1 Panstarrs.

Archived