Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Propeller nebula

Epicycle

Hi,

The Propeller (DWB 111) rises a little bit earlier than the rest of the popular subjects in Cygnus so it was well suited for those rare clear nights we had

a couple of days ago.

This is 9hs of Ha taken over 3 nights. I rarely use my Megrez 72 at its natural resolution, but this is one exception.

Details:

-18x1800 subs

-Megrez 72 @ f6+ SXVR-H9

-Skywatcher flattener (does an OK job)

-Heq5, PhD2 & EqMac, guided off-axis with SX minifilter wheel

-Astrodon 5nm Ha filter

-Processed in PI, Captured with Nebulosity.

Maybe I'll get some RGB for this,

Comments welcome, thanks for looking!

cheers

Epicycle

link to astrobin: get.jpg

post-25876-0-30916100-1400662245_thumb.j

I really like this nebula and you have got great data and processed it well - Super :smiley:

Thanks Sara!

very nice image there :)  lots of detail

Thank you!

Nicely executed, this is one of my favourite targets - comes out nice in full narrowband colours too.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Maybe narrowband is another good option, I was thinking more on RGB, do you know to which it responds better:  OIII or SII?

That is lovely, now added to my target list although I don't have the patience for 30min subs.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Well, Sara convinced me that 30m is the way to go for narrowband and that if you can do 10, you can do 30. But I do feel the pain when I loose a 30m sub because of clouds getting in the way, software glitch or just forgetting to connect the power cable to the laptop when I go to bed and leave the setup unattended!

Excellent Epicycle!  Very well framed and balanced.

Like Dave, I've added this to my list.

Barry

Thanks Barry.  You should be able to do justice to this nebula with your equipment.

I've done a NB version of this, albeit it some time ago - Don't wish to hijack your thread with a link, but it's there if you want to find it!! I hope to go back to it this year. You can see that there's good detail all round as far as I remember.

I've done a NB version of this, albeit it some time ago - Don't wish to hijack your thread with a link, but it's there if you want to find it!! I hope to go back to it this year. You can see that there's good detail all round as far as I remember.

Just checked your image Sara, wonderful. But, my question was which was stronger for the propeller, OIII or SII? Sometimes if one dominates the other a bi-colour image will do.

To my surprise there seem to be quite a few objects in which the SII dominates (like the Jellyfish). I used to think that an SII filter was not indispensable, but as my taste evolves

I've changed my mind...

E.

Ah, yes, good site. Thanks! OIII seems really weak, was that your finding too?

cheers

E.

Yep, the OIII in this is very weak. It will take some serious pushing when processing, SII is a bit easier to get.

Good work with getting round stars on long subs, 30min is something I rarely attempt!

Yep, the OIII in this is very weak. It will take some serious pushing when processing, SII is a bit easier to get.

Good work with getting round stars on long subs, 30min is something I rarely attempt!

Thanks Rob. I'm sure you can do 30m subs with 130pds. I'll try this myself soon (I tried a few already, but haven't collected enough on any particular target),

cheers

E.

I havent pushed the 130 to 1800s purely because of flex, im not sure that I will get away with it the same way a small, stubby and solid frac would :)

Ahhh the dreaded flex, I guide off-axis. Best thing ever especially for milky way objects where there are plenty of stars around,

E.

I've now collected some RGB and came up with an Ha:HaR:G:B  image. I had a software glitch at some point during the night which meant that I was only able to get 1 Green sub :(

However, it does not seem to matter that much since G is really only used for balancing the colours...

Anyway here it is: 11hs and 5m with 12x300s in both R&B and 1x300 in G added to the 9hs in Ha,

Comments welcome! Thanks for looking.

E.

get.jpg

post-25876-0-05882200-1401219180_thumb.j

Archived