SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lovely Sun Saturday 3 May

Pig

Well its not quite over yet but I think I can safely say I for one have had a brilliant day solar observing :smiley: I hope you all have too

Not having to lift a finger has also helped and totally makes up for having to work during the week.

I think I have had it all today, proms, surface detail, plage and sunspots :laugh: a new eyepiece to try out, which also turned out to be a great purchase, and last but not least a lovely bottle of wine :evil:

Thank you all for the comments, contributions and your virtual company throughout the day :laugh:

It's been a great day for sure Shaun. I've managed to follow the large prom for most of the day in five or ten minute sessions in between working in the garden. It's amazing how much it evolved through the day, pretty much joining up in a loop with the other prom, great to see.

White light was lovely too, though not so obviously dynamic.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely day all, thanks for starting it off with a band and sharing it with us.

I even went out and bought a notebook, compass and some pencils for sketching - Umbraldot, on your head be it...

Great sketch earlier Pragmatist, hope I can do as well.

I also hope tomorrow is as good, no bank holiday here and rain predicted for most of next week.

Get it while you can...

K

The shear size of it is just mind blowing.....Can they get a lot bigger than that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think today's prom was definitely a good one :laugh: The width of it and the density of it early on, and the shapes it morphed into! I caught some views again this afternoon and it had changed so much. Here are two of the biggest proms in my 18 months so far in terms of how far they stretched away from the surface.

11938437524_e7c4ccbfb7.jpg

11156860485_24afe13e16.jpg

Was indeed a good day, my forehead is a bit warm, must dig out my hat.

White light was ok but I switched back to the PST after an hour or so.

That prom really did perform today, really nice to see over a whole day. :)

Cheers

Ian

Sorry if its not entirely accurate as i was chasing the sun through bolt holes this morning but wow what a privilege it was to view that prom even if it was only for a couple of minutes.

That's a pretty good drawing and a very good representation of the real thing. Here is what it looked like 3 hrs later.

post-25425-0-55955700-1399150293_thumb.j

Very hazy here, but the prom is still quite amazing through the eyepiece. I wonder if this could detach soon? It still seems to be looping around but the main part is almost circular now and the looping bit is getting thin. A football about to be booted off the solar disc? Hope some folks get a look-in, worth trying even if hazy.

I cant see the sun through the haze hear Luke :smiley:

I noticed the 2 proms had joined yesterday evening so they could detach at any moment, would be great to catch that one.

Just started processing ...  :p

Was out at 07:00 to catch him before it closed in for the day , forecast said I'd be out of luck but it was pretty good here bar some thick haze , should have a full set of close-ups too but I'm not guaranteeing quality ...  :grin:

Hope you all get a session at some point ...  :smiley:

Archived