Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovely Sun Saturday 3 May

Pig

I just got another look-in. A bit longer this time. I was a bit silly and risked missing the white light by going back to the prom in h-alpha first, I couldn't help myself. And then I rested on it longer than I should have, because I was impressed by how much it had changed since my first look! I see what you mean Shaun by explosive! You lucky fellow!

The dragon to me now looks like it is sticking its tongue out, but the smaller creature it was breathing fire onto is not so little now... It seems to have leapt up and is a considerable size, I wonder if the dragon will live to regret picking this fight!

Not far away, an hour or two anti-clockwise in my mirrored view, was a splendid prom that would be wow without the big 'un. A bit hard to describe but it had a stalk a bit fountain shaped/splayed, and then a small wing anti-clockwise and a big looping wing clockwise that I think touched base again with the disc. Really lovely.

All this held me up and in a panic with the gap closing I rushed to the white light. What a beauty. I should have gone their first really before a second look in h-alpha.

In the centre of the disc was a large spot, with the dark umbra a squiggly snake shape, a bit like a very rounded 'm' shape. There were a few smaller spots in the area. Away from the centre there was a nice group of three decent size spots, and I can't remember how it all looked but there were pockets of small spots in the area as well, each with a small, well-defined inky black umbra. My little 66mm Revelation really does seem to have sharp optics for the price we paid. Light cloud drifted over and in a way helped the view, taking the sting for me out of the brightness as I hadn't had time to put the polarising filter on.

The view this second time was more wobbly than the previous view, but the details were still quite contrasty, even if they were dancing a bit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Luke, I see the worm :smiley:

Umbra, I would love to my friend but I cannot draw one little bit, I even have trouble spelling it :grin: If I could I would but I think that is best left to Luke :smiley:

Nice one Luke, I see the worm :smiley:

Umbra, I would love to my friend but I cannot draw one little bit, I even have trouble spelling it :grin: If I could I would but I think that is best left to Luke :smiley:

Have a go.  I'm no artist either but just try to sketch the main strands as you see them and how they change.  You'll get the hang of it and surprise yourself!  :grin:

Clouded out again here now, but managed a few more minutes. Seeing is getting pretty bad even when the clouds disappear.

That whole western limb ( as I see it ) is pretty spectacular, I won't try to describe it as beautifully as Luke but it is wonderful. I totally agree about the middle prom, it rises up then flattens with the uppermost limb retreating back to the surface. The scale of the big prom just takes my breath way when you consider it's size.

The active region closest to the proms seemed to be brightening to my eye, but that could have been due to my playing with the tuners...

UD I don't think I even own a pencil (what a terrible admission to make) but I have been very taken by your sketches so I promise to make an effort and buy a couple. If only to give you a laugh.

They will certainly cheaper than that PGR that I bought but haven't had a chance to use yet...

K

We have another prom starting at 3 O'clock, I am going to keep my eye on it for a while. I will let you know if it develops into a monster  :smiley:

Just a side note, the more I am using the Lunt zoom the better it is getting, and, it gives a  surprisingly sharp white light view through the Herschel wedge :smiley:  very impressed indeed

When I first saw that prom (3/4 o'clock) it was so bright. Then seemed to from into a big loop.

Had to move to the other side of my terrace for the afternoon viewing but then had to nip inside as my iPad over heated and needed to cool down, that's a first. By the time I got it cooled down it clouded over again...

Seems to be flattening out a bit now

Nice and clear here for a change so just had a happy couple of hours in garden with the PST.

Couple of nice proms including one big one that was changing by the second.

That's my solar fix sorted, ahhhh. :)

Cheers

Ian

I have had a good 6 hours so far today, I will get sunstroke if I am not careful :smiley:

We have been very lucky in Northampton, I best go and get some wine and melon before its too late. its a great mix

The Sun, cubed melon marinated in a nice expensive Rose and a solar scope  with nowhere to go --- absolute bliss :laugh:  :evil:

Must say Shaun that I have had a good day here too

Even though it was pretty much on and off with the clouds I just sat back with a cup of tea and the iPad and let them roll past. Getting up for the odd glimpse when allowed.

Pretty much full on cloud here now so have packed up for the day.

Time to head into town with the missus for some shopping (she has her eye on some furniture) and then pop into a great beer bar on my way home and sample the wonderful delights that they have on tap this week.

The sun is due to come out to play later here but by that time it will have snuck round the wall of my neighbour so there will be nothing more I can do than pop into my local cafe for an early evening glass in the sun on their terrace. I keep threatening the wife that I will take the scope round and do some outreach one evening but I am pretty sure that alcohol, a bunch of tourists and my pride and joy is not a good combination.

Enjoy the melon and rosé

K

I've got the solar kit, I've got the wine, I've even got the melon in the fridge...guess the one ingredient I don't have :p

We can't have everything, I am severely lacking on both wine and melon....

Lovely views down in Surrey, been pretty clear all day, just some wispy and high cloud around.

I like Luke's description of the wiggly worm or snake in the centre, looks great in white light. That big prom is huge isn't it! Must go and have another peak in a minute, and working in the garden and just catching ten mins here and there while I recover!!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been a great day Stu, I am pleased you introduced me to the wedge it has turned out to be an excellent buy :smiley:  the worm looks great through it, as do all sunspots, it sure brings out some stunning detail.

Great to see you got your Zoom Skem, don't you just love retail therapy :smiley:  That makes it 3 Lunt zooms in a week for this forum alone :laugh:

Thanks pig :-)

I'm sat here now clouded out but had some cracking views of that large prom,can't believe how much it changed since this morning. This zoom is great,it beats the seben zoom hands down. It gives better contrast and detail and the zoom is solid and easy to move. I don't get any blackouts with it to,the twist up eyecup is ideal. IT ALSO LOOKS COOL

like all others say,it's ideal to have 1 eyepiece just to change to suit conditions.....brilliant purchase,if I must say so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Well its not quite over yet but I think I can safely say I for one have had a brilliant day solar observing :smiley: I hope you all have too

Not having to lift a finger has also helped and totally makes up for having to work during the week.

I think I have had it all today, proms, surface detail, plage and sunspots :laugh: a new eyepiece to try out, which also turned out to be a great purchase, and last but not least a lovely bottle of wine :evil:

Thank you all for the comments, contributions and your virtual company throughout the day :laugh:

I have seen one bigger than that I think around 2-3 weeks ago if my memory is not tricking me, it was just mind blowing.

wow....can't wait...This is just one reason out of many why solar is my BIG thing,just the not knowing what our star is going to do next??? :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived