Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ever wish you were back in the old days of astronomy?

Been downloading a lot of old astronomy books from Gutenberg Project as the cloud cover appears permanent and it occurred to me how exciting it must have been a few hundred years ago when anyone with a 3 inch refractor made by those famous instrument makers Bodgitt and Creepaway could make discovery's that would make real advances in astronomy. Remember this was a time when the small and up close versus big and far away controversy was still raging. I have just finished a book postulating the chances of life on the moon, logical and closely argued it just so happens that it was wrong but this was the early 1700's. Another later book from 1820 had some invaluable advise for those wishing to have an observatory. It boils down to 1. Buy a hill  2.Get some men to build you an observatory.  3. Put some gargoyles on it. I was born too late for my time.     

Been downloading a lot of old astronomy books from Gutenberg Project as the cloud cover appears permanent and it occurred to me how exciting it must have been a few hundred years ago when anyone with a 3 inch refractor made by those famous instrument makers Bodgitt and Creepaway could make discovery's that would make real advances in astronomy. Remember this was a time when the small and up close versus big and far away controversy was still raging. I have just finished a book postulating the chances of life on the moon, logical and closely argued it just so happens that it was wrong but this was the early 1700's. Another later book from 1820 had some invaluable advise for those wishing to have an observatory. It boils down to 1. Buy a hill  2.Get some men to build you an observatory.  3. Put some gargoyles on it. I was born too late for my time.     

In the Good Old Days wasn't the first order of business for the bored 'Lard'   1. Move the whole town of common folk who occupy the hill  2. Buy the hill ...... ? :grin:

No as I'd probably have 17 children and be confined to the house washing, cleaning and cooking...mind you that does sound rather familiar.  Female astronomers were pretty rare and in very exceptional circumstances way back then.  I enjoy today's freedom to choose what I want to do without turning heads and hearing gasps of disapproval!

No, absolutely not.

In those days a poxy 3" refractor would have probably cost an arm and a leg, and be only available to the very privileged of people. Plus, without modern medicines we'd all look and smell a bit like Baldrick....

tve14825-3-43.gif

It would be snakes and ladders I'm afraid. A chance to be at the forefront of astronomy, but William Herschel had to cast his own speculum mirrors in a horse dung moulds and had to polish them for hours at a time - a pause in the work would cause them to mist over and become useless. Little light pollution to contend with but more pox.

We've never had it so good. Even a total eejit like me can produce images that amateurs of 30/40 years ago could only dream of.

...that PROFESSIONALS of 30/40 years ago could only dream of.

Hesnotwellagain, name these books - I want them!

Archived