Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Rowe-Ackermann F/2.2 Astrograph!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now the new Celestron Rowe Ackermann Astrograph (RASA) has arrived and is shipping we know it has a CGE dovetail (Losmandy-style) top and bottom, not the single dovetail shown in previous photos. The bottom dovetail is for attaching to a mount and the top for a guidescope or piggy-backing. 

Also, our earliest early adopter is the indubitable Harry Page  :icon_salut: Harry is probably best known for his Pixinsight tutorials and is active here at SGL and at PAIG so I don't think it'll be long before we see some user feedback :smiley:

Steve 

post-54-0-90478300-1413198375.jpg

I'm interested, too. I think it has to be OSC and, so far as I know, there is no small bodied, big chip OSC in production so the scope can't, at this stage, really strut it's entire stuff. That might change. That said, a small chipped, small bodied camera would make fewer demands on the optics and might make a nice fast system, albeit expensive for the FOV currently available. (You're paying for an image circle not exploitable on any current cameras of which I'm aware.)

Your thoughts, anyone? As I say, my interest is piqued.

Olly

I used a Canon on my Hyperstar C11, worked really well. Of course it blocks a bit of aperture, but you don't see it when focused. Mind if I was buying one of these that can only be used with a front mounted camera I would be buying a small bodied OSC, perhaps a SX35 or SX36.

Robin

Seems rather strange to me to buy such an expensive scope when you can only use a poorer camera with it.  I guess you could use a mono camera with single filter fitting and change it by hand.  Maybe take one colour/wavelength per night.  OR buy three and buy three mono cameras and set up a triple imaging rig :eek:   That should gather quite a few photons! :D

Surely there are some mono CCD cameras with full frame image size and small enough bodies not to obstruct further the central obstruction?  I thinking of say the Starlight Xpress Trius SX-35.

Wonder what mount would handle three of these astrographs and all associated gear :D

Hi

First of I am goinb to use my sx m25 osc which is smaller than the central obstruction, so no probs there and next I will try the sx h35 which is 118mm so not much bigger ---as for the central size, the secondry on my 14 inch newt is 120mm

so while not perfect I do not see it as a major problem (famous last words)

As for filters I intend to use a single filter draw , again not ideal but workable

I have a few other problems to sort before first light ( deorating the hall ) but will report Asap

regards Harry

I shall watch your results with interest Harry :)

I thought when Atik went from "short and fat" in their 3 series cameras to "long and thin" with the 4 series, that they had realised the benefit of the new format but it seems not with the 11000 going back to "short and fat" :(  Or are there any advantages of "short and fat"?

Rowe Ackermann has a 41% central obstruction (114mm/279mm)

My Tak Epsilon has a 44% central obstruction which is perfectly acceptable.

The Atik 11000 has a diameter of 125mm which would give a C.O. of 44.8% on the Rowe Ackermann - hardly any different from the Tak's

I think the 11000 would be almost ideal, though still not utilising the whole 70mm imaging circle!  Also, Baader now have a range of f/2 narrowband filters that fix the frequency shift issue:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/narrowband/baader-f2-highspeed-narrowband-filters.html

I've just taken delivery of the H-alpha version of the f/2 filter and  when I can borrow a "standard" 2 inch H-alpha filter I'll do a direct comparison on the Hyperstar to see how contrast compares at very short F-ratios.

If the usual SCT mirror flop issue is truly solved on the RoweAckermann then this could be a very serious imaging rig indeed. Looking forward to seeing in depth reviews!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

At last I've had a chance to get my hands on one of these, rather briefly as it turns out, but I hope for a second chance. It's true that the 11000 would be no big deal being just over the central obstruction size. I was struck, though, by what a big boy it is physically. It's far longer than the C11 and makes my 10 inch meade look like grab and go.

Since the camera fits straight onto a T thread I wonder how you'd fit a UV/IR filter with an OSC. I have to admit that I can't remember whether or not I used one with my Atik 4000 OSC. Now where did I put my memory...?

Olly

At last I've had a chance to get my hands on one of these, rather briefly as it turns out, but I hope for a second chance. It's true that the 11000 would be no big deal being just over the central obstruction size. I was struck, though, by what a big boy it is physically. It's far longer than the C11 and makes my 10 inch meade look like grab and go.

Since the camera fits straight onto a T thread I wonder how you'd fit a UV/IR filter with an OSC. I have to admit that I can't remember whether or not I used one with my Atik 4000 OSC. Now where did I put my memory...?

Olly

Just pop a Astronomik T-Cell filter on the end of the camera, they are load bearing. Hopfully this wont mees with the focus too much

If the usual SCT mirror flop issue is truly solved on the RoweAckermann then this could be a very serious imaging rig indeed. Looking forward to seeing in depth reviews!

Mark

Hi Mark, if the mirror lock system is the same as my C8 Edge? then I can confirm that it works very nicely indeed! I tested this out last night imaging 3 different objects and  even though these objects were in different parts of the sky, once I tightened those mirror clutches the focus didn't shift one bit. Worlds apart from the big Meade Lx200's I used at Uni many Moons ago, they had terrible mirror flop!

Hi Mark, if the mirror lock system is the same as my C8 Edge? then I can confirm that it works very nicely indeed! I tested this out last night imaging 3 different objects and  even though these objects were in different parts of the sky, once I tightened those mirror clutches the focus didn't shift one bit. Worlds apart from the big Meade Lx200's I used at Uni many Moons ago, they had terrible mirror flop!

I think it is the same, though what works at normal F ratios may be more taxed at F2.2 since the focal depth is so shallow. It seemed a well made systeml, though.

Olly

Archived