Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wood Versus Metal Versus Plastic?

LukeSkywatcher

Hi all.

I am moving to a new place in about 4 weeks time. While i am not asking about an Obsy, i am asking which type of shed to buy to put in garden. I really just want suggestions regarding storage of scopes. I'm worried about moisture levels in each.

I plan to store a SW heritage 130p (in original box) and a Celestron 8se (no original box).

All comments welcome.

Size and cost of shed not an issue. 

Paul.

A Wooden type made from T&G with a few air vents would work, Metal i'm not to sure about condensation might be a problem, Plastic i can't say i have never seen or been in one.......

I'm thinking a wooden shed is the most natural breathing material,not too cold in winter,not too hot in summer. It balances itself out as a natural product.

I store a Dobsonian in an 8ftx6ft plastic shed made by Keter, this has proved to be very good over about three years now. It has a couple of vents built in and has suffered from minimal condensation. It went together in just a couple of hours, no problems with the heavy rain this winter. It sits on existing patio and has its own internal floor.

A wooden shed probably wins on visual appeal but does need to be maintained. The plastic shed will come apart very easily to move in the future.

Metal would concern me having had a metal dome at school years ago condensation was an issue.

Linton

Not if you have one of these? :D (The most visible of several security measures)

post-539-0-12197600-1396251097_thumb.jpg

Nothing is 100% safe? Breaking in (Angle grinder? Chainsaw?) might be a tad noisy?

I sense, around here, "crims" are opportunistic...  or acting on "insider information"!

Don't tell 'im, Pike? Resident most of time, modest "removables" stored indoors etc. :)

The only ISSUES with Wood - My Obsy is a pre-build (much modded!) Alexander's,

have been with AMPLE Rain and Wind. Lessons for ab-initio DIYers, "storers" even?

Make it a lighter colour too. In our occasional Summers, things heat up inside... :p

Of course, if you commit to e.g. VIDEO astronomy, at an early enough stage,

you only need a "small box" outside anyway? Nice to create a "warm room ", fill

with creature comforts? These days I prefer to operate remotely from indoors. ;)

I have a metal shedservatory, mainly for security and (hopeful) lack of maintanence. Condensation is a problem, so I lined the roof and walls with thin polystyrene insulation. No problems after that. Since everything is permanently installed I also use a dehumidifier on a timer switch. There are a couple of roof vents in each gable, which I have supplemented with some fans.

I have Keter plastic shed as an obs'y, been using it for about four years with no problems, couple of plus points, it can be easily assembled in a day by one person, less condensation than steel and no maintenance just a blast with the power washer once a year.

Dave 

Will security be an issue? Some cheap wooden sheds are easy to break into.

Sent from my Samsung G4S using Tapatalk.

Security is only an issue because i'd hate to wake up one day and find my scopes missing, but they would be insured. I think i'll just go with a wooden shed because it a natural substance which regulates itself. Metal and plastic tend to "sweat" in warm weather and allow condensation to build during cold weather.

• 3 weeks later...

'Til the doors swell up in the rain and you can't open them :)

Dave

True. Wood does have a habit of doing that. Ive decided that i will knock down the concrete boiler house that is there already and move it to the end of the garden and double it in size to allow for storage of lawn mower etc and most importantly,telescopes.

True. Wood does have a habit of doing that. Ive decided that i will knock down the concrete boiler house that is there already and move it to the end of the garden and double it in size to allow for storage of lawn mower etc and most importantly,telescopes.

Wood if untreated will swell, like metal will got rusty, yacht varnish on the wood will stop any swelling as hammerite will stop metal rusting, just needs a bit of thinking about....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived