Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally decided it is a refractor that I want

but my main concern is CA on my images.

I wouldn't recommend it then, ST150s are great for widefield

Yup, my 150ST ad more colour on jupe than my lil' ol' 80mm Stellarvue A1010 Nighthawk did.

Still n all - I wish I still ad m'ST150 heheheheh - heavy ol buggre still still still :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but my main concern is CA on my images.

I wouldn't recommend it then, ST150s are great for widefield, visual use but even with a fringe killer you'd get a lot of colour on your images.

I can't really argue with that although it is somewhat dependent on the imaging system used of course. I can't access my web cam images at the moment as they are on Mrs CW's laptop but I have trawled through my early 350D images to find any unprocessed images that might illustrate the point. Here are a couple from the reject folder taken in 2006 with the ST150 and the 350D in sRGB mode. Adobe RGB mode will usually give a more subdued image to work with for processing. Although even this probable wouldn't have helped with the Orion image. :D

Weight wise the ST150 OTA I have weighs in at 14 pounds.

CW

(click as usual)

P.S. Typical! They seem to have lost a lot of colour in the uploading process. Will try and find another.

I have had a meade AR5 for the last five years- the optics are great and i really love the scope- i have not used the AR6 but it is quite a bit more weight and from what i understand it pushes the limit of the lxd55 mount i dont know if the same is true with the lxd75 mount- i mounted the scope on a platform and wheel it in and out of the garage with no problems- thats my 2 cents for what it is worth- oh yes they AR5 sell for about 500 dollars used- rocco WB9QPU

• 1 month later...

Well, after much soul searching, and despite the advice to the contrary, I decided on a refractor.

4348_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As soon as I get a night with a gap in the clouds I'll give it a whirl and let you know how I get on.

Mike

Thanks guys. Yes it is a TAK130.

I'm not sure when I'll part with the C11, but it will have to be reasonably soon. Its a great scope but somehow I just haven't fallen in love with it.

Since I do love my little ED80, it convinced me to swap the C11 for a refractor. The Tak is an extravagance but the other scopes I considered were not that much less. This one is a beauty and I expect to keep it till I'm fitted for my wooden overcoat.

The sky looks clear and the forecast is good. Its outside ready - hopefully I'll have some positive feedback.

Mike

PS Sorry Tony, but I don't think I'll be bringing it to Kelling.

Jabber jabber drool drool :) :) Fantastic imaging and visual scope, or so I gather, never having had the luxury of looking through one :):clouds1: No go out and get the best EPs money can buy. Oh, and it's look so nice on an EM200!! :wink:

Mike, you've made the right decision. "Quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten"

Phew, thanks Martin.

I think it will have to slum it on an EQ6. Eyepieces are pending, but I was embarrassed by Steve into buying a new 2" diagonal to replace the cheapie I use.

Tak and diagonal (plus borrowed eyepieces) to have first light in 10, 9, 8 ....

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike

Sorry to butt in on your thread but how have you found your Tak/EQ6 combo now you've had it for a few weeks?

I'm looking at a similar setup, a high quality 4-5" refractor on a similar mount for both visual and imaging and would appreciate your own thoughts

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

I'm afraid I've had few opportunities to use them in the last few weeks. I even took the scope to Kelling but the weather was such that it only came out of the box once for folk to have a quick look at.

My original assessment is here http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,23981.0.html I can't really add anything at the moment. I will post again as soon as I can get out on a clear night, because I'm expecting the arrival of some new eyepieces tomorrow.

For what it is worth, I am still convinced that I now own a scope that will be part of my estate when I shuffle off this mortal coil. Newtonians and SCTs are great scopes but for sheer convenience I don't think you can beat a refractor - it is a pity though, that to get the same performance the price penalty is so high.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mike

PS Have a look at JCM's images, they speak for themselves - he has a similar set up.

Archived