Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Toy, New Messier

Hi All,

After all the recommendations they get on this site, I bought my first new eyepiece - an 8mm BST Starguider. It's a lot chunkier than my kit plossls... I gave it a kind of half-hearted test in the ST80 on Tuesday night out of the back window, with a quick look at the moon. The air vent from downstairs was going, so I waited for last night to take it down to the park for a proper go.

All I can say is that I was blown away by how much clearer the image is with it. It's a joy to use and I look forward to testing it on a few more objects. I had a look at a couple of old favourites and a new one...

• Cor Caroli - I lined up on this lovely double star, always a bit of a favourite of mine.
  • M94 - Wasn't sure if this was going to happen but this is one easy to find easy to see galaxy, a lovely bright blur with a bit of shape and structure visible at higher magnifications. With the 8mm it was a truly amazing sight, the kind that gets you all fired up about astronomy all over again - I was amazed that it would cope with the magnification to be honest. This one goes on the list of recommended DSOs for urban skies... It was a new Messier for me, and brings my count up to 64.
  • NGC 2392 - The Clown Face / Eskimo Nebula - I was always impressed that I found this in the first place, but with the 8mm BST it was another revelatory experience, with a bright central region surrounded by a fainter fringe.
  • Jupiter - The clearest view I've ever had of it, marred only by the lack of GRS or shadow transits. Lots of lovely detailed cloud bands.
  • Mars - I thought I'd have a look but being a school night this was at 9.30, so the Red Planet hadn't risen high enough to share any of its secrets. It will though!
  • M53 - Thought I'd have a look at a globular and this one's easy to find, although by this point the moon had risen above the horizon so things were getting drowned out and it appeared pretty dim.
  • M42 - The Orion Nebula - I would have started with this but some floodlights from a nearby stadium had turned night into day in that portion of the sky. Just before I packed up they went off so I whipped round to look at it with the BST. Shocking amount of detail for a moon night and the trapezium was clearly visible in the centre.

So in short, thank you to everyone who recommended the BST eyepieces. I now need to save up 50 quid to buy some more... And of course I need to get out there and have another crack with the one I've got! The weekend looks hopeful, so fingers crossed!

DD

dick_dangerous........nice one. I'm in and out more times that a piston tonight. The weather is in a hurry tonight? Couple of minutes nice and clear, then cloud then clear. now rain, and Jupiter looks like I might see the GRS tonight. was just about to Barlow my 5mm at 2x, but a little blurry ( but just as the clouds came in again, so will go to just the lens from the Barlow tube at 1.5x Barlow. 

These BST's are great. I offered some info in the eyepiece section earlier, with a link to a  tube video. It shows a Paradigm EP, but its the same build if anyone wants to see what these lenses look like?

Was that with the trusty ST80?

The BST certainly reads well, my 6mm WOLP is often too much for the conditions and is not giving an improved image over my 16mm maxvision.

It is the flat top design of the BST that puts be off.

Ah, didn't make that so clear - I was using the 150P. The BST should work in the ST80, just - they're good for f5 and above telescopes.

DD

When I got my 8mm BST delivered I was amazed at just how big and heavy it was.

Comparing to a stock EP, they make the stock ones look like a kids toy, very pleased and well worth the money.

Glad you have found it so good and nice to read up on you report.

Well my eyes are really not what they used to be. If only I could go back a few Years to when I had  20/20 vision!  But I managed for the first time to make out the Great red Spot (GRS) tonight. When it was just right I managed with the 5mm, 8mm and the 12mm. Though tonight,  I preferred the 12mm Barlowed by 1.5x using only the lens from the Skywatcher Deluxe Barlow. The wind was a bit nippy too, that didn't help too much with the stability of the telescope, but patience has paid off tonight. I initially wanted to observe M1 Crab Nebula tonight, but just to much light pollution from this site.

When I got my 8mm BST delivered I was amazed at just how big and heavy it was.

Comparing to a stock EP, they make the stock ones look like a kids toy, very pleased and well worth the money.

Glad you have found it so good and nice to read up on you report.

I've had a quick search but no luck, where did you purchase this eyepiece? I'm interested in upgrading my stock ones and after your reccomendation and several others i've seen on here im rather interested :)

I got a 8mm BST last week for my birthday. Haven't been able to use it yet due to horrendous cloud, but fingers crossed that the BBCs prediction for a clear night tomorrow holds true. Can't wait to get it trained on Jupiter for a decent look at this gas giant.

I've now got the 5mm and 12mm BSTs which along with the 26mm Meade are all I seem to be using at the moment. Along with the 2x Barlow this seems to cover everything. I eventually went for the BSTs after much thought and many recommendations here, and have been well pleased with them. For the price (£49) they represent great value for money. They've also got a lovely "businesslike" feel about them. I think my ep collection is now complete (who am I kidding!)

They really do sound like what I'm looking for, as I'm on a budget and these are in the perfect price range and seem to cover all the basis of a good eyepiece.

Can you order online at sky's the limit or is it a phone order site?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Steve91........I have a thread in Discussions/Eyepieces........     http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208511-whats-you-favourite-eyepiece/page-3#entry2262338    ............ that shows a Paradigm 8mm. Apart from the coloured banding, its of the same construction as the BST Starguiders.

The BST can be bought from here, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical. If you contact Alan you can try them before you keep them, If you find that the EP is not suitable for you, you can return for a full refund, less the return postage.

Steve91........I have a thread in Discussions/Eyepieces........ http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/208511-whats-you-favourite-eyepiece/page-3#entry2262338 ............ that shows a Paradigm 8mm. Apart from the coloured banding, its of the same construction as the BST Starguiders.

The BST can be bought from here, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical. If you contact Alan you can try them before you keep them, If you find that the EP is not suitable for you, you can return for a full refund, less the return postage.

Thanks for the links :) am I looking for BST explorers?

Thanks for the links :) am I looking for BST explorers?

Steve91........ The original post, refers to the  BST Starguider, you never mentioned in your original  message that you wanted an Explorer? However   "Explorers" as such don't exist in the normal context now? The "Explorer" was a brand name,  allocated  to a  retailer. That branding would also  have copyright, and protection. That same lens / EP is now branded  by the manufacturer (Barsta) as the BST "Starguider"  and is available from the link I provided. The only difference between the brands will be a slight colour difference to the bands. My 8mm may be orange, and a Paradigm might be orange for the same EP which could cause confusion, due to their colour coding? ( I didn't  check the colour banding for this text).

It would be nice  to own any of these oculars within the same branding, but  they may  come along second hand at any price,  but the build quality  should be of the same standard. At present its possible to obtain Orion or BST EP's  from Alan, its just the branding that differs, not the quality.

Here is the Barsta web site, showing the Paradigm line-up. The BST's are the same http://www.barsta.com/show_hdr.php?xname=MDA8V11&dname=OPFOR71&xpos=13

sorry for delay Steve91.........Yes, that link is for the Re-Branded Starguider, It does say Explorer, but you should get the Starguider.

Note* If you cant decide which focal length to buy, buy two or three and test them side by side. Speak with the proprietor first,  this is acceptable. Why have anything that your not satisfied with. You only pay postage if you return these EP's.

Archived