Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New qhy5-ii closeups from the 9:th.

Mr Bergman

Finally I am getting better results. Avi´s stacked in AS!2 then processed in Astra Image. About 500 best of 1300 @ 14 fps 

with 1280x960.  

Out of curiosity; How many frames do you other capture during an avi session?, and how many frames do you usually stack for closeups? 

/Erik

13157539044_5899c2d67b_c.jpg

13157539734_d8093d4f0c_c.jpg

Beautiful shots, Erik, lovely processing. :laugh: Better results? These are GREAT :icon_salut:

Edit: I forgot to add than I am generally taking 2500 frames at 26FPS currently (or slower FPS sometimes for closer shots to help keep the image bright), but I'd love to know how far it's worth pusing the recording time if anyone has ideas. I've been wondering how long it takes before e.g. shadows change significantly.

Beautiful shots, Erik, lovely processing. :laugh: Better results? These are GREAT :icon_salut:

Edit: I forgot to add than I am generally taking 2500 frames at 26FPS currently (or slower FPS sometimes for closer shots to help keep the image bright), but I'd love to know how far it's worth pusing the recording time if anyone has ideas. I've been wondering how long it takes before e.g. shadows change significantly.

Thank you Luke! I have been doing this a year now and when looking back at the results from last year I realize how fast and steep the learning curve is. Thanks to you and all others in here with good tips and tricks I got this far!  :smiley:

Luke - 2500 frames sounds like a good amount. I have only tried roughly 1500 frames with 14fps. Maybe I should try highspeed mode with firecapture and try to get a higher fps?

It´s an interesting question Luke - where do we hit the limit of diminishing returns when speaking of number of frames captured? Of course that´ll depend on seeing etc, but it would be nice to get a rough estimation. Anyone?

/Erik

• 3 weeks later...

Nice image.

I usually take about 1200-2200 frames depending on seeing conditions, and how much time i have. With about 14 fps at full res i usually set it to 120 sec for each section and leave it like that.

Nice image.

I usually take about 1200-2200 frames depending on seeing conditions, and how much time i have. With about 14 fps at full res i usually set it to 120 sec for each section and leave it like that.

Thx Jannis! I guess I could take longer avis then. One thing that I did not do before this session was to re-collimate the scope after putting it on the mount....Next time I will do that and get it sharper.

Amazing rich detail on the Moon, well done!

I would usually record 2000 frames for the Sun/Moon, but now that I've changed my settings in Ezplanetary will record much more for the planets.

I just found out my QHY5L-II Colour can record at 30fps @ 1280x960 by following these settings.

And I tried lower resolutions and pushed 200FPS, I should've changed this much earlier, hehe.

But while the video feed says 30FPS @ 1280x960, the hdd says 15FPS, I guess that's the max write speed it can manage. But I've just installed an SSD into my laptop, will see how that works. :)

I don't know if you use firecapture or not, but if you do it will report you the actual FPS live.

I personally feel 14 FPS is a bit slow, but i have noticed that it's still worth it to use 14 FPS with full bit-depth.

Amazing rich detail on the Moon, well done!

I would usually record 2000 frames for the Sun/Moon, but now that I've changed my settings in Ezplanetary will record much more for the planets.

I just found out my QHY5L-II Colour can record at 30fps @ 1280x960 by following these settings.

And I tried lower resolutions and pushed 200FPS, I should've changed this much earlier, hehe.

But while the video feed says 30FPS @ 1280x960, the hdd says 15FPS, I guess that's the max write speed it can manage. But I've just installed an SSD into my laptop, will see how that works. :)

Amra - thx! I will have a look at your settings for a higher framerate. Got no ssd but I'll try when I get a chance.

Jannis - yes I use firecapture! I also think it is worth to use it with 14fps. These images was with 14fps and a not perfect collimation. So improvements are very possible. Didn't think I would have to recollimate after mounting, but I learn new things every session.

Ron - thank you!

Just curious - why would you have to recollimate after mounting it? Only reason i can think of it would be if you have mirror flexing, or too stronglt tightend tube-rings.

I had similar issues after cleaning my primary. I collimated it at at flat 90 degree angle, and when i started taking images, it was off. After days, and in fact weeks of fustrations and recollimations of both lasers and mirrors, it always ended up the same. In the end what i did was to recollimate it whiel it was pointing stright upwards - wich ended up giving me a good image at last.

Just curious - why would you have to recollimate after mounting it? Only reason i can think of it would be if you have mirror flexing, or too stronglt tightend tube-rings.

I had similar issues after cleaning my primary. I collimated it at at flat 90 degree angle, and when i started taking images, it was off. After days, and in fact weeks of fustrations and recollimations of both lasers and mirrors, it always ended up the same. In the end what i did was to recollimate it whiel it was pointing stright upwards - wich ended up giving me a good image at last.

I think it is mirror flexing or my driving. The tube rings are not to tightened what I know of. Although it is fairly easy to make a quick collimation with a laser of the primary before imaging. Just some small adjustments. Often I drive my scope to a dark location, which may destroy my collimation efforts at home:-) I dont know exactly how sensitive my scope "should" be?

Great images!  I captured 30,000 frames on the 6th because seeing was poor and I was keen to get some half decent frames to make use of the clearish patch (I say clearish as I was shooting thin cloud).  I usually shoot at 30fps for the moon, for planets I reduce the res and use smaller ROI so that I can hit 120fps.  But I've only been doing planetary for about 2 months so take what I say lightly :-)

Archived