Buy 25mm TV Plossl or 25mm Ortho

dweller25

Gonna set cat among the birds here.............but will there be a huge difference between the TAl plossl`s and the TV`s    a good while back i read a report that compared TV and GSO plossl`s and there did not seem to be much in it

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the pictures I have seen of the Tak 25mm Abbe Ortho it has a nice rubber eye cup and it looks like the eye lens is recessed a fair way. Both will contribute greatly to the usability of the eyepiece for me so I'd see it as a major plus. I find the 25mm Fujiyama and Astro Hutech orthos highly frustrating to use in all honesty.

Than what would you say in using Edmund RKE 28mm :tongue:

You just need to learn how to use it. I like it a LOT. Very special eyepiece.

Than what would you say in using Edmund RKE 28mm :tongue:

You just need to learn how to use it. I like it a LOT. Very special eyepiece.

It might be a brilliant eyepiece optically but if stray light can get onto the eye lens and you have to hold your head away from the top of the eyepiece to find the correct eye position then I've found that 1) the light on the eye lens reduces the contrast and 2) it's not a relaxing experience to use for any length of time.

But eyepieces are a personal thing, what works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else  :smiley:

I have tried some RKE eyepieces but I found their off axis astigmatism rather intrusive in scopes faster than around F/7. Great at F/10 or slower though.

Gonna set cat among the birds here.............but will there be a huge difference between the TAl plossl`s and the TV`s    a good while back i read a report that compared TV and GSO plossl`s and there did not seem to be much in it

After a bit of searching........Tada!      http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/HOMEPAGE/PageMill_Resources/Comparison%20test%20of%20TVPlossl%20vs%20Brandon.pdf

I understand this comparison does not include the TAL plossl, however the Tal has always been highly regarded

My thoughts exactly Jules.

hi dweller I used both tv 26 and vt ortho,s in my bino viewers settled for the tv because of the rubber eye cups but very hard to

spilt them it came down to comfort in the end, dobbie

• 1 month later...

Thank you!

Ok, I will make range from best to less better:

1. Leica 25mm - BEST, SUPERB

2. Zeiss S-PL 10x/20 25mm ortho - second best, SUPERB

3. any Zeiss aspheric orthos like PL and E-PL versions with 25mm FL and ZAO I 25mm - almost good as Zeiss S-PL

4. Fujiyama/Takahashi and clones 25mm

5. Kasai VT 25mm ortho

6. TV 25mm Plossl - it do not produce natural neutral images of objects

7. ES 24mm 68 deg - less light transmittion than TV Plossl 25mm, brighter image and more comfortable in term of ER than Panoptic 24, also waterproof while Pan 24 is not

8. Panoptic 24mm - warmer tint than orthos

9. Taiwanese 25mm Plossls

10. Chinesse 24mm ortho (TS and clones)

Dear star friends

I am new to this forum, just registered because of this amazing eyepiece discussion.

A question:

In which scope would you consider the Leica 25mm to be best? Also in f/5, f/4.5 and f/4 ?

Thanks

Thomas

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I have the Leica HC Plan that denis0007dl recommends as the best except mine has an "s".  It says HC Plan s 10 X/25  M.  Does anyone know what the difference is?  I couldn't find any information from Leica.  Mine has a hard plastic eyeguard instead of rubber.  Maybe that is the difference?  Here is the pic http://www.leica-microsystems.com/products/light-microscopes/accessories/eyepieces-and-graticules/ 

Thanks, Kent

I use a couple of cheap 16.8mm orthoscopics in my cheap binoviewer. The eye relief is excellent and the lunar and planetary views are breathtaking. There's a X2 Barlow in the nose of my bv as I use a refractor, and by measuring the exit pupil as accurately as I can, I estimate they are giving me X225. The views are razor sharp and contrasty.

Mike

interesting comments,but for planetary i would go for orthos any day.You dont need large FOV for planets.As for stray light issue,what stops you from purchasing rubber eye guards and using them on your orthos? Works for both flat tops and vulcano tops perfectly fine.

RKE are special ones ,i use a 28mm ortho with the same effect as RKE,with only difference that the large eye relief what might cause issues in "cyclops" mode,feels completely different when binoviewing.Same goes for short eye relief eye pieces.Actual binoculars do not have a large eye relief anyway if you havent noticed that :)

$(KGrHqV,!jUE2HHkqrF4BN)9sr5clQ~~0_12.JP

I'll go with Yong and say a +1 for the 25mm SLV. Ortho performance, no false colour, great eye relief, very lightweight and they wont break the bank :laugh:

So much choice and so little time :grin:

I use a pair of 25mm Tals and have owned TV plossls too. I prefer the Tals.

If you want to try something different try the orthos..very flat field, sharp to the edge and great contrast.oh, and did I mention the pin sharp images with natural colour??:)

Anyhow I'll shut up now else I'll end up selling my Tals!

Dave

Archived