Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nat geo chanel. Carl Sagan Cosmos. Heads up!!!!

maxheadroom

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 part series starts on 'Nat Geo' (national geographic Chanel) this Sunday at 7pm. The advert looks epic.

Series link that bad boy if you can. If the ad is anything to go by it will be a game changer for sure.

Can't wait :)

Me too.  So much so that I have changed my TV package to Sky and upgraded to Nat Geo Channel. The bonus being "Game of Thrones" on Sky Atlantic. Getting it installed tomorrow so I am one happy bunny.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I have seen it, too. I personally liked it although I think it is more of a review of things you already know but never ceases to wonder. I think one of the main purposes of the producers is to reach the general public, not preaching to the choir precisely. If they succeed, I hope we can see more interest in science from the public.

By mistake, this part wasn't aired by Fox station in Oklahoma :)

“Three and a half million years ago our ancestors, yours and mine, left these traces. We stood up, and parted ways from them. Once we stood on two feet, our eyes were no longer fixated on the ground. Now we were free to look up, and wonder.”

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/13/oklahoma_fox_station_runs_promo_over_mention_of_evolution_in_cosmos/

By mistake, this part wasn't aired by Fox station in Oklahoma :)

“Three and a half million years ago our ancestors, yours and mine, left these traces. We stood up, and parted ways from them. Once we stood on two feet, our eyes were no longer fixated on the ground. Now we were free to look up, and wonder.”

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/13/oklahoma_fox_station_runs_promo_over_mention_of_evolution_in_cosmos/

Sensorship of evolution. Way to go Oklahoma lol

I hope it's good, but for me personally, whenever i watch the original, it wasn't *what* was delivered, it was *how*.

I doubt there'll ever be another Carl Sagan. The man was practically hypnotic in the way he could plant ideas into my head without even trying.

I saw it. It was nicely done, but I didn't like the CGI overload. I also noticed a lot of things that were wrong. Like showing asteroids in the asteroid belt only metres from each other, while in reality you can't even see any others when you're standing on one. I know why they did it, but it just isn't very sciency.

I have just watched the recording from NatGeo. A promising start I thought, definitely an attempt to do things on a grander scale, more like a movie than a doc. Noticed that they transmitted the show with no commercial breaks which adds to the movie feeling, First episode was just to set the scene, as you might expect. These programs are all made as though the audience knows nothing of the subject :rolleyes: Will be recording the next episode  :smiley:    

The original COSMOS was a ground-breaking series. It still stands as one of the most watched programs ever seen on TV. Fantastic (for the time) effects, music by Vangelis and hosted by Carl Sagan, surely one of the most justifiably famous popularisers of science ever. For many, me included, COSMOS kicked of a life-long fascination with science and the wonders of the natural Universe. For Neil deGrasse Tyson, meeting Carl Sagan set him on his path to being a scientist.

I remember watching the original series as a kid growing up in rural Ireland, a country, at the time, cloaked in a deep recession, and with minds dulled by the overpowering, stultifying, influence of the Catholic Church. COSMOS was like a beam of light shining into my 10-year old world and it, along with Attenborough's Life on Earth series, confirmed my desire to know more about the workings of the world. COSMOS holds a special place in my heart and I was delighted when I heard that a new series would be made. I was even more delighted when deGrasse Tyson was announced as a presenter, as he is surely a worthy successor to Sagan, albeit one that I think will never have the brilliance or depth of understanding of Sagan.

The first episode was good, in fact, I'd go so far as to say it was very good. The graphics are stunning and I was pleased to see that they picked up on many of the themes of the first episode of the original series. kicking off the episode with deGrasse Tyson standing on the same headland that Sagan launched COSMOS from was a nice touch and the very personal piece at the end was extremely touching. I liked the remake of the "cosmic year", but did question the overall relevance of the animation about Giordano Bruno. Needless to say, I had to bang my head on my desk when I heard the news that in Oklahoma a "mistake" meant that the section on evolution was covered up....

Although I've only seen the first episode, I have a nagging feeling that the new series will be a lot more "frothy" than the original. I re-watched the first 3 episodes of the original on Sunday, and again was impressed by the calm, inspiring way that Sagan delved into the detail. I hope that the new series does not gloss over detail and isn't afraid to confuse and stimulate it's viewers. Or tries to replace content with glitzy CGI and effects. it's also worth pointing out that the first series was sub-titled "A Personal Voyage" whereas the second series is sub-titles "A Spacetime Odyssey", so it is not to be considered a "re-make"of the original, but rather a follow-on series. I'd recommend that viewers get their hands on the original series. Yes the graphics and effects are starting to show their age, but look beyond that (and Sagans somewhat unusual style of narration. I am sure that Hugo Weaving copied Sagan's speech pattern when playing Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy!) and recognise the series for waht it is- ground-breaking TV.

If the new version stimulates half as many people into exploring how the Universe works and launches half as many careers in science then the creators can be proud of what they have made. And they can be proud of honouring the legacy of the original and of it's creators, Carl Sagan, Anne Druyan and Steven Soter.

A beautiful show. Just watched my recording. Stunning and humbling. As a beginner or an expert (not that eny human is an expert yet) it's well worth a watch. Black kid from the New York Bronx meets carl Sagan and is following up his show 40 years later. Wonderfull

We could make endless comparisons to the original, I thought the show was very well produced. However, I personally was looking for more substance, and less flashing lights and (IMO) political overtones. But that sort of thing is nearly unavoidable these days so its all a part of it.

I thought Neil Tyson was an excellent choice as host, especially with his past ties to Sagan. I wasn't alive when the original series aired, so its exciting that people like me and younger generations will have such a show, that with the right stuff will stay with us as the original has for many of you.

I'm off to view soon, got a clear night before a snowstorm tomorrow!

No, I think its more about gathering the publics attention. Too much trash on T.V., watch cosmos.

Well I hope that's the case. I think it's time for them to reveal that the moon is really made of cheese, as a non American I'm wondering how many new tv series Obama introduces?

Archived