Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope should I get?

Been reading through all the threads I can find, how you have all been helping new starters get a suitable scope to fit their needs.

So, I hope that you can do the same for me,  firstly, I only want the scope for viewing, and I think I want a dobsonian but not sure which one.

The Heritage attracts me very much as it seems very portable, many people on here seem to like their 130's of various types so I am thinking it must be a pretty decent little thing.

The 150p is a nice price and seems a very capable scope from what I have read.

The 200p seems like a scope that will last a newbie a good few years but is it to heavy for me to want to cart in and out? I need to be able to easily manage the scope and I also want lots of fun with it but I am concerned I may think its just to much hassle if I would get a 200?

So do I go for portability with the Heritage thinking I may get a lot more use from it, the 150 or 200, I have been going around in circles for weeks trying to decide and looking through this forum.

Hi There and welcome,

Is there a local Astronomy Club that you could go along to ? I would be surprised if at least the two dobsonians that you

mention were not available to look at and assess, and I am sure the members would be able to help with your dilemma.

Hi Sandra. Here's a video of a young chap handling the 200P dob:

You should be able to judge ease of use from that - if it seems too large then simply go for the 150P instead. However - I feel it's worth going for the larger of the two if possible - the extra aperture opens up so many more objects to you. But it does depend what's practical for yourself.

Here's a link with the weights of the 200P dob for you: http://www.darkskytelescopehire.co.uk/course/8-skywatcher-200p-dobsonian-telescope/

Hope that helps. :)

Been reading through all the threads I can find, how you have all been helping new starters get a suitable scope to fit their needs.

So, I hope that you can do the same for me,  firstly, I only want the scope for viewing, and I think I want a dobsonian but not sure which one.

The Heritage attracts me very much as it seems very portable, many people on here seem to like their 130's of various types so I am thinking it must be a pretty decent little thing.

The 150p is a nice price and seems a very capable scope from what I have read.

The 200p seems like a scope that will last a newbie a good few years but is it to heavy for me to want to cart in and out? I need to be able to easily manage the scope and I also want lots of fun with it but I am concerned I may think its just to much hassle if I would get a 200?

So do I go for portability with the Heritage thinking I may get a lot more use from it, the 150 or 200, I have been going around in circles for weeks trying to decide and looking through this forum.

I don't have much in the way of advice but I do sympathise with the agonising over making a decision! Unfortunately what people find portable very much depends on the individual. The 200P is more awkward than heavy and it can be moved in two pieces (base and OTA). I think it's often repeated that the best telescope is the one that gets used most often, irrespective of its size.

Is there anywhere near you where you could go and see a telescope prior to buying?

You also have a £100 price jump for each increase in size.

I don't have a Dob, but do have both the 150P and 200P.

They are both great quality and afford wonderful views of the night sky.

The 150P is of a size that it is of no bother to transport if required, the 200P slightly less so.

Personally I avoided the 130 when I was looking due to the focuser being only 1.25" and thus slightly limiting future EP purchase options + as always appertue is king.

I use the 150P as more of my grab and go and sometimes hoick it over to a cliff top location. The 200P is a bit too big for this.

It boils down to how you wish to observe and to some degree what, and where. 

You'll get decent views with any of the 3.

Best,

Richard

Thank you for you help and thoughts, I watched that video 3 times Brantuk, it only has to be moved from the living room and out through the back door, we only have one street light here and that gets knocked off around 12pm, also thanks RichM63, I didn't know about the 130 only taking the 1.25 ep, so that is very good to know. 

Work out which one you will actually use the most. If it is not used it does not matter how big it is.

To me that is the main requirement of a first telescope - it has to be easy to use and so you will see more and enjoy it.

If you specifically want a dobsonian then the 150 is a good choice, nice compromise between scope size and portability.

The 150 mirror will show you just about everything up there.

I too would recommend a Dobsonian for all the reasons given. I found my 200p scope tube a little awkward to carry to begin with, owing to it's bulk and shape, but it's not heavy and you soon get used to it. The base is heavier but it does have a handle. I think it would be best if possible to find somewhere where you can try it out for yourself as regards portability or maybe the 150 model would be best. The base appears to be made of a laminate which is unlikely to be exterior grade, so I don't know how well it would stand up to being kept outside. A Telrad or other zero power finder, or a right angled finderscope would be well worth the expense to avoid neck ache. I have a Telrad with the optional dew shield and mirror which makes it easy to home in on objects even when overhead.

I too would recommend a Dobsonian for all the reasons given. I found my 200p scope tube a little awkward to carry to begin with, owing to it's bulk and shape, but it's not heavy and you soon get used to it. The base is heavier but it does have a handle. I think it would be best if possible to find somewhere where you can try it out for yourself as regards portability or maybe the 150 model would be best. The base appears to be made of a laminate which is unlikely to be exterior grade, so I don't know how well it would stand up to being kept outside. A Telrad or other zero power finder, or a right angled finderscope would be well worth the expense to avoid neck ache. I have a Telrad with the optional dew shield and mirror which makes it easy to home in on objects even when overhead.

Hi and thanks, I hope to attend the Swansea  star party at Garnswllt as that is very near to me, should be very interesting :) I notice you have the 150p, do you get good views from that?

You also have a £100 price jump for each increase in size.

I don't have a Dob, but do have both the 150P and 200P.

They are both great quality and afford wonderful views of the night sky.

The 150P is of a size that it is of no bother to transport if required, the 200P slightly less so.

Personally I avoided the 130 when I was looking due to the focuser being only 1.25" and thus slightly limiting future EP purchase options + as always appertue is king.

I use the 150P as more of my grab and go and sometimes hoick it over to a cliff top location. The 200P is a bit too big for this.

It boils down to how you wish to observe and to some degree what, and where. 

You'll get decent views with any of the 3.

Best,

Richard

I was wondering how different you find the views through the 150 to the 200, is it a big jump?

Hi Sandra,

I should have added that you may be lucky with a local Astronomy club, that loans out Telescopes to members

as ours does, both 150mm and 200mm Dobs. Worth an Investigation.

Good luck in your choice and enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Hi and thanks, I hope to attend the Swansea  star party at Garnswllt as that is very near to me, should be very interesting :) I notice you have the 150p, do you get good views from that?

I have the 200p and a Tal (Russian) 150mm which I guess performs similarly to the 150p. The 150mm shows most things very well. The extra aperture of the 200mm helps me when viewing faint objects like nebulae and galaxies and mine shows star colours better. On the planets and double stars I find the extra aperture makes a difference only on nights when the atmosphere is relatively undisturbed. I'm sure you will get plenty of enthusiastic advice at the star party to help you come to a decision.

I have the 200p and a Tal (Russian) 150mm which I guess performs similarly to the 150p. The 150mm shows most things very well. The extra aperture of the 200mm helps me when viewing faint objects like nebulae and galaxies and mine shows star colours better. On the planets and double stars I find the extra aperture makes a difference only on nights when the atmosphere is relatively undisturbed. I'm sure you will get plenty of enthusiastic advice at the star party to help you come to a decision.

I went for the 150 due to the size of me carrying it, I watched as many youtube vids as I could find, took advice here and went to a shop to see the size differences (but bought from FLO) and am sure I have made the right choice as I am quite small and reading this thread a lot of times helped make up my mind, if the size of the 200 (which was very big in the shop) put me off using it frequently then the 150 was the better choice, I searched on here and lots of people really seem very happy with all their various 150's so I am sure I will be  :laugh:  just looking forward to it arriving now and learning the ropes and hopefully have as much pleasure as all of you do.

The 150 is a fine scope and from a dark site will see more than most people in the city with there  200+ mm. It's a good call to get the scope you are comfortable with rather than just the biggest. enjoy

Hello Sandra..

I too was a beginner...and jumped straight into the 250P

Magnificent scope but..it is getting heavy...

Like other members have suggested, a 150-200P will give you

great views and great portability..

Wouldn't recommend storing the base outside though..(Wales..rain rain rain)

post-35125-0-31073700-1394893957.jpg

This is when I received the scope some time ago, as you can see a 10"

is cumbersome..

But I'm sure many male astronomers would be more than willing to help you :))

Archived