Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing Session - March 29, 2014

L8-Nite

Our next Observing Meet will be on Saturday March 29 at the Blaenavon site, which is located by the radio towers to the north of town; the coordinates are.......

+51*  47'  25.57"  ,  -3*  4'  10.74"

We can expect dark skies as the New Moon is only a day away.  Check this thread in the afternoon, on the day, to see if the forecast is favourable, and if the observing session is a " GO or NO GO ".

Think clear skies !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would my son and I be welcome for 30 mins to meet up and look through some one else's scope. I've seen 2 options I like but just want to make fully sure my son loves astronomy. And what better ways than with more experienced people

I think I can speak for all and say he'd be more than welcome.

I would be great for more youngster to attend, and there should be a variety of scopes to for him to see and experience.

Would my son and I be welcome for 30 mins to meet up and look through some one else's scope. I've seen 2 options I like but just want to make fully sure my son loves astronomy. And what better ways than with more experienced people

As Tony said, you both would be welcome.  Our meets are informal get together's for observing and enjoying the hobby. 

Wow this hobby makes your hands cold! Just patiently waiting for mars to appear over my neighbours shed... Perhaps a grenade would do the trick.

On the other hand I have seen my first "M" 3 that is! Really hopeful and excited to look at dark site and not under a street lamp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Karl - just as important in this hobby as all the glass and electronics are a good pair of socks and a hat. No one cares what you look like when its minus 2 outside and dark but it can turn something you were looking forward to into a pretty miserable time if you don't get it right.

Congratulations on getting your first DSO Bagged - if you get another chance try and find M42 The Orion Nebula its probably the star of the night skies at the moment until Saturn rizes later in the spring - well worth investing some time in before it diappears until next winter.

M42 is another reason I am crossing my fingers for Saturday, the view from my garden is seriously hindered by garages which makes it really difficult to observe. By the time the sun goes Orion is behind the house. Even more disappointed as I am enjoying looking at stars so would like to get Betelgeuse too.

Definitely investing in some gloves too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived