Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observatory build from mainly recycled stuff.

chrisjose1913

I am building a new observatory, after only starting the hobby 8 weeks ago. I love it so much i am now giving myself a challenge to build one at the lowest cost i can. This build is so far built with mainly  old junk. The stones where donated from a friends after he tore his shed down. The cement and sand are the only things new. The telescope peir, was an old sign post. I will be also using the old shed shown in the photos, i will take it down and rebuild it on the currently unfinished section of the foundations. I will post updates here with photos daily !

Lets see what can really be done with old junk !

post-35813-0-85445100-1394386274_thumb.jpost-35813-0-69316900-1394386292_thumb.jpost-35813-0-32126600-1394386308_thumb.jpost-35813-0-79915000-1394386338_thumb.j

Looks like you could talk that shed down. It'll be a challenge salvaging much of that once the hammer has been near it!

Look forward to the watching the build though. Each build fills me with more and more desire to do it myself. I know I'll never settle until I've done it too.

Good luck, we're all right behind you.

Thanks for the kind and supportive replies. I will be posting more tomorrow night. If the weather permits me to progress, I expect to have the base complete tomorrow, with any luck the old shed moved and rebuilt. The entire project is done off the top of my head, i have no drawn plans at all. Anyway thanks again. 

Now this will be worth watching. I love a Recycle build.

When we moved into our house 36 years ago I had a 2 year old and a baby, and hardly any spare cash.

Husband is good at making things look pretty and handy with carpentry but no building skills at all.

We made a conservatory from bricks we had knocked down from another wall in the house, windows we had removed from our previous house when we put picture windows in (before the days of double glazing), and various scraps of wood we had laying around - no raised floor and all we bought was some corrugated plastic for the roof.

36 years later it is still standing - different roof, different windows, now has a raised floor with DPC - more recycled stuff except for the flooring.

Carole

Should be an interesting and rewarding thing to do; I will follow your progress with interest..... It may provide me with some inspiration to do the same...... not sure my wife will be quite so enthused though!?

Thanks for the kind and supportive replies. I will be posting more tomorrow night. If the weather permits me to progress, I expect to have the base complete tomorrow, with any luck the old shed moved and rebuilt. The entire project is done off the top of my head, i have no drawn plans at all. Anyway thanks again. 

It's usual to wait a week or so after poring the concrete base before building on it, to let it harden properly.

Good luck - from the look of the shed, you'll need a bit of it but top marks for effort, ingenuity and green credentials.

Small update, i have now put some broken up slabs and rocks in the base for the shed/warm up and computer room. I leveled the breezeblocks after filling the trenched are hardcore. I have also cemented them in place. I now have to finish off the base. I will be finishing the foundations tomorrow. As for the section with the peir, the cement has now hardened solid. I will be cutting the peir to the level i need. more updates coming soon.

post-35813-0-55067300-1394584856_thumb.j

Another update.

The shed has not been moved. The shed was in a very bad state, but with a little work , it will still make a good warm up room. Most the work right now is aimed at repairing, and securing the shed. once done, i will start work on the dome.

post-35813-0-23165900-1394844046_thumb.jpost-35813-0-18191900-1394844059_thumb.j

post-35813-0-48154300-1394844019_thumb.jpost-35813-0-07225100-1394844032_thumb.j

More updated soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived