Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone 'gazing tonight?

estwing

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back indoors and nice and warm. I got my little lunar imaging fix. There was some thin patchy stuff that got in the way now and again but I'm hoping the filter has cut through it. I didn't bother trying to get a full disc, just grabbed some of the bits I found interesting. I wish I'd been up to some eyepiece time, there was some great detail to see in so many craters.

I finished up with a little experimenting with higher gain settings, which in the past I have been terrified of. :eek:  It looked very grainy/noisy on screen, so much that it was tricky getting focus. But I am hoping stacking will do wonders for it. Worth a try, I guess!

Got out around 7, first go with my 6" Newt, & the bins on a stick setup (very handy) clouded over shortly after that and I packed up for the night (based on the forecast).  Later I read this thread, checked out the window and it's clear again (11:30) - so back out again (6" Newt on AZ4 get's bonus points here for speed) trying out a blue filter on Jupiter and getting some Mars time in but as soon as I got out the cloud started building up again so it didn't last long.

Got home around half eight, found my parcel with my first ever piece of equipment in it (Helios Naturesport 10x50), scrambled to open it, open the box, open the shoulder bag, open the plastic bag, OH MAN that was some nice safe packaging, and lots of it! Then fiddled with the strap which made me waste another 45 seconds or so, read the instructions (of which there were thankfully quite few) and then it was time to go for a little walk to a dark green nearby. Focused and adjusted on what at first was a blob and then turned out to be a tiny jumping pinprick. Settled down (there was a handy bench there) and I have no clue what I was looking at, but it was interesting. Some "individual" stars turned out to be less than solitary, that was quite cool. Really glad the sky was mostly clear.

Oh and then after ten minutes I decided it was time to look at the moon. My god. What a treat. Really, such a sight, so crisp and bright.

What a great first night out  :icon_bounce:

Just had a quick peak at Mars, real mushy but then it is very low still.

Unfortunately it had clouded over here by the time Mars rose above the trees in my neighbours garden. Altogether a pretty disappointing night :(. Forecast isn't brilliant for tonight either...ah, the joys of UK astronomy!

I was out last night so swimbo won't let me out tonight:-(

Thing is, it looks better out there tonight!

Never mind, I'm up at 5am to go out riding.

D.C

Archived