Hello from New Mexico

Less212

Just wanted to say hello to all of the kind people at Stargazers Lounge. I have been reading the forums and finding them very helpful and I appreciate all of the info on this site. I have recently purchased my first telescope the Celestron Astro Master 114 I know this is a very beginner level scope but I figured I would start with this and see where it takes me? From reading these forums it sounds like I am in for a long but (hopefully) rewarding journey and I will probably have a lot of questions so I thought I would start by telling everyone HELLO!!!

Sincerely, Less

Hi Less and welcome to the forum. Any scope will show you more than your what you can see just by observing with your own eyes, so you've made a good start already. You might want to consider downloading "Stellarium" which is a free piece of planetarium software that will help you learn the sky and find objects of interest. Easy to use and can also be configured to present an image of the night sky identical to that which you can see from your viewing location. There are many features to keep you busy when the clouds come in of which the advance date/time feature is really useful as it allows you to project forward the night sky to a particular date or till an object of choice comes into view. Particularly helpful if your view of the night sky is partly obscured or if you are showing some objects to your family but don't want to be waiting around till 3:00 am in the morning to see Jupiter!  :grin: In addition the above, you might want to take a look at a book called "Turn Left at Orion" which provides maps and written instructions on how to find around 100 objects throughout the year. Very easy to use and it will certainly help you get to know where all the interesting stuff can be found. There is also text about the objects you are viewing along with other helpful guidance and advice about astronomy in general. If you want to take a look at its format you can do so here. Hope my suggestions help and I am sure you will receive many others. Remember that there is no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere and what is more important is to enjoy what your doing.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James 

Hi Less and welcome to SGL - Glad that you joined us, there's a wealth of information on the forum and loads of helpful folks too! So enjoy your time and if you have any questions then just ask, none of us were born astronomers :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

Nothing wrong with that scope you have its a lot better than most of us started with.

Its a long journey and has its bumps in the road but the results are always more than worth it!

See you around.

Archived