Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

best DSLR for less than £400

darthvader

I am a Canon fan. Still got a Canon film DSLR.

I would say any of the Canon DSLR with a flip screen. This makes viewing and setting up with the OTA very easy and no cricked neck.

There are some second hand dealers who offer mod'd Canon DSLR within your budget and with a warranty.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/ soem on this site have bought from them. Worth a look.

I have a mod'd 650D which I bought new.

Even un mod'd Canon are good plus the Back Yard Eos software back is a well priced dedicated package for atro photography.

Canon thousad series or the hundred series. If you are like me that prefer Nikon to shot with. Get a D5100 or try to find a used D7000 for about 400£ if you are a litte bit lucky.

Canon thousad series or the hundred series. If you are like me that prefer Nikon to shot with. Get a D5100 or try to find a used D7000 for about 400£ if you are a litte bit lucky.

Nikon have too many problems and drawbacks that someone should be recommended to buy one for astronomy work...only reason i think someone should use one is if they already own one.

Problems/drawbacks are: the star eater, RAW compression, black point clipping, lack of good cheap software, more expensive to mod and harder to find someone to do the work and more expensive to buy.

I think the only choice for someone buying a new camera is Canon 1100D, 600D or 6D, which one to buy is up to how much one can afford.

1100D, cheapest option, good image quality for the price and with a fast scope can produce stunning images.

600D, a little more costly, slightly lower noise, higher resolution, flip screen (great for beginners with a refractor that doesn't use a computer)

6D, very costly (you can buy several modified 600D's for the price of a 6D), shortened exposure times because of high QE and low noise (1/2 or 1/4 of the cheaper cameras can be achieved), larger sensor (only an advantage if the scope has a large enough image circle)

Archived