SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First go at Jupiter!

Leveye

Finally had some clear still night air after 2 weeks of rain and was able to test out my new eyepiece projection rig with the Newt for the first time ever. Pretty awesome to see the transit of Ganymede come out as well! Let me know what you think.

Can anybody recommend a 3mm eyepiece in the 150 dollar range? Of course i need to get closer! haha

750mm Newt- 5mm BST eyepiece-Televue 3x barlow- 1300 frames PIPP - ASi! - Registax6 - PS - LR

post-28595-0-83256200-1393173213_thumb.j

Very nice, even more impressive if this is your first go.

I do usually think the eye piece projection images of jupiter look like pastel drawings; there must be something in all that glass which makes them look that way, but this is not meant to belittle the stunning result you have achieved.

Have you thought about trying imaging with a high frame rate webcam on a barlow/powermate?

But great result, really well done.

Jd

the eyepiece projection rig is obviously working well! very nicely captured transit have you considered a x5 barlow or image mate?

Never heard of an image mate so i'll have to look into that but i do have a 5x Rini that i'm going to give a go as soon as the gods of thunder are done playing over here.. Many thanks!

Have you thought about trying imaging with a high frame rate webcam on a barlow/powermate?

Jd

My 5dMKiii does 60fps at 1200x750 which i will try soon. This is 30 fps. I only needed 90 seconds of video to get this. I notice some are using  over 2 minutes is alright? I am going to try using just the barlow but i think this way gives me the most magnification. I just found a Tele Vue 3.5 Nagler type 6  so that will help some and better be sharper! Overall this BST 5mm is really great for a 50 dollar eyepiece. When i get some extra loot i plan on a dedicated CCD for sure.Thanks for the encouraging words and advice much appreciate it!

Very nice result! :)

I have the Astro Engineering 5x Barlow (AC685). I've found I need absolutely perfect seeing to get results with it. It also requires micro fine focusing control. Basically I think it's too much mag for my 300P, but probably gets good results with a shorter focal length.

I also have issues with the imaging rig sagging a bit from all the weight here at the focus tube on the Crayford low profile. I found some mini bungee cords to take care of that issue and center everything much better. Everything should be even clearer and sharper then. I really enjoy this style of imaging. Thanks for the help everyone much appreciate it. Look up! -Chris-

About 100 dollars for a 4x sounds good to me! The 5x with the t-thread is most likely the way i will go. Could i ask you a favor and please measure the widest diameter of your barlow? Thanks for the tip sir!

• 2 years later...

I'm impressed with your image, I've yet to use my steady pix deluxe with my Panasonic f=3.8 . Do you have a starry night mode on that camera and the rule of thumb is leaving your shutter open 15,30,60s : longer exposure will produce more detail : you also need to determine aperture and shutter speed to find what'll produce the best result . I'm no expert but, learning is an on going adventure in any photography that much I do no. I use three different cams and each has it's own capture software and  strengths on objects , 2nd year and I'm seeing drastic improvement from last year. These forums are helpful and also having someone you can call at any time helps tremendously in my adventure. This is my 1st from of 2016 with my digital and a 2 x barlow "I did rotate it" , my PA wasn't great so I couldn't get to use 2.5 ,3x or 5x powermate . Also what ep did you use to image Jupiter, the higher the power the less of the projection is going to hit the sensor. I'm disabled and use one hand to do it all ,  Have fun and enjoy the nightsky.

J2- 3--7-16.jpg

Archived