Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Astro Mag?

Naemeth

On the search for an Astronomy Magazine to subscribe to, I don't really get the chance to go into town to buy one every week, even every month, so I was thinking that a subscription would be much better for me.

Main interests are solar system (articles and pictures), beginner-ish type articles on astrophotography and what is going on in the night sky each month. Articles about gear are certainly welcome too :).

Unfortunately think you've just missed out on a good deal on S@N subscription, but I find as mikey32shaw says it covers pretty much what you described. I find Astronomy Now is a little more in depth with more articles about cosmology and the sciencey stuff and for me a better read.

I have subscribed to S@N for 2-3 years now and I do like it. Covers all my requirements really. The disc is ok, but as others have said I don't look at it all the time. One of the clinchers for me was the fact that they do deals for new subscribers where you get a free astro book (I got the Cambridge Star Atlas) and the mag itself is reduced in price (30%off I think). I pay for mine half yearly through DD.

I get both !!!

Must admit, I prefer the night sky section in S@N more than AN tho.

Lee

+1 for S@N's night sky guide. The British weather does tend to make the "don't miss sights" get missed :( but the deep sky tour's always nice to have a look at.

I like the American mags, Sky & Telescope and Astronomy. They have much more depth than the UK ones. Having said that, AN would be my choice. Also, have you considered digital subscriptions? I find it very convenient to read them on my iPad, I always have them handy and I don't generate a huge stack of old magazines. I can still browse through old issues on the iPad, and print out if I want.

Archived