How much magnification is needed to see jupiter?

I recently bought a telescope and last night was the first night since i got it that jupiter was visible, its been real yucky in the midwest recently. I have a 700mm telescope and both a 25 and 10 mm eyepiece. The moon looked spectacular with the 25mm piece but when i went to look at jupiter, it was nothing more than a point of light with both my 25 and 10mm eyepieces. do i need to get another eyepiece to be able to see it? if not what am i doing wrong?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm right the 10mm EP should give you 70x magnification. I generally look at it with my 20mm EP which gives me 32.5x magnification.

It's very bright and I don't get much detail. I know my scope is beginner but you can just about make out the atmosphere.

I can also see the 4 moons which are just specs like distant stars.

With my new 10x50 bins I can also see Jupiter to make out as a planet but no detail (certainly not hand holding it) and also make out the 4 moons.

3in

Sounds like you have a 3" (76mm) reflector with 700mm focal length, lots of those around.

With my 70mm scope at its lowest power, 18x, Jupiter shows a tiny disc, with moons easy to see. At 34x the larger disc shows the main cloud bands. At 60x several bands can be seen.

You should be seeing something fairly similar with what you have, the 25mm eyepiece will give 28x, the 10mm 70x.

There shouldn't be very much cooldown needed with a 3" reflector, but if its been stored at living room temp, maybe give it 20 mins to acclimatise.

Focus very carefully, if you are just a tiny bit away from focus you will get a dodgy view.  Maybe try that, see how it goes, if no-go, perhaps come back here with what you saw.

Regards, Ed.

I too was viewing Jupiter properly for the first time last night. The 10mm eyepiece with my scope gives me a magnification of x120. At that level of magnification I was able to see distinct bands across its surface and see the 4 gallilean moons shining brightly.

You can increase the magnification by using smaller eyepiece or using a Barlow lens but there are limits to how much magnification you can use. Generally twice the scopes aperture will give you an idea of max useful magnification, in your case x152.

Also atmospheric conditions will affect how much magnification is practical :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

yeah, the 10mm should give me 70x magnification but im just seeing a bigger speck of light, cant make out moons or anything. If youre seeing moons with your 20mm i SHOULD be able to see them with my 10... If its clear ill give it another shot tonite see what happens

I dont know how to edit a post :( my last post was in response to Langy. Auspom, I was doubting myself too. I have a number of planet and star map apps on my phone, i looked through all of them to varify it was jupiter and not just a star, It was the brightest point of light very close to the moon. Thats Jupiter right? I am in a major city, just everything ive read online makes it seem like seeing jupiter is a no brainer regardless of where you are. I may need to let it cool longer, its been unreasonably cold so ive been trying to look from inside or bare the cold for a few mins. I guess ill have to wait until it gets a little warmer maybe and stay out a little longer...

Yes others have said it, but at x70 you should be seeing a distinctly planetary shape. It sounds terrible I know, but just check again it was Jupiter! Don't hit me!!

Good luck with the scope, we ALL have nights like this starting out!!

Barry

Edit - the finder is definitely aligned to the view through the eyepiece? If you're not seeing Jupiter at x70, you're probably not looking at Jupiter

The 10mm at 70x should be enough for a small image with a couple of bands.

However the 10mm eyepiece is generally useless, which I suspect is where the problem really is.

At about f/9 the scope is at least friendly to the less costly eyepieces.

Suggest you consider a 10mm plossl or 8mm plossl.

Assuming you do not wear glasses in the above suggestion.

If you want to then spend $60 on the Astro-Tech paradigm 8mm, that should work well. May find the same EP at $58 from somewhere like eyepiecesetc.

Jupiter can ge seen fairly well at 70x (10mm EP) and with an 8mm (87x) it should be a little better (=bigger).

If you then want Saturn then you really need something like 120x and above, meaning you have to consider a 6mm or 5mm eyepiece.

A lot will depend on the scope deliverying a reasonable image for the eyepiece combination to magnify.

I may need to let it cool longer, its been unreasonably cold so ive been trying to look from inside or bare the cold for a few mins.

If by "look from inside" you mean you have been looking though a window then that is probably the reason. The optical quality of window glass is very poor and will distort the view.

I dont know how to edit a post :( my last post was in response to Langy. Auspom, I was doubting myself too. I have a number of planet and star map apps on my phone, i looked through all of them to varify it was jupiter and not just a star, It was the brightest point of light very close to the moon. Thats Jupiter right? I am in a major city, just everything ive read online makes it seem like seeing jupiter is a no brainer regardless of where you are. I may need to let it cool longer, its been unreasonably cold so ive been trying to look from inside or bare the cold for a few mins. I guess ill have to wait until it gets a little warmer maybe and stay out a little longer...

sounds like you were in the right area for sure. stick with it...I'm sure a scope of that size is more than capable. galilleo would have ripped your arm off for 21st century optics (although I'm not sure he'd be too pleased with the l.p). :D

If by "look from inside" you mean you have been looking though a window then that is probably the reason. The optical quality of window glass is very poor and will distort the view.

Yes i have been looking through a window for the most part, subzero temps are not very friendly at night. it was 10 degrees last night so it was bearable to an extent but I may not have been out long enough for the scope to acclimate, I was only out 5-10 mins or so before i came in after just seeing a point of light. its supposed to warm in a few days so ill try to brave the cold a little longer and see what i can see.

can you see a point of light with moons either side? I can see moons with my 7x36 bins and 9x50mm finder so you should see them. if not then I suspect you were not looking at Jupiter but a nearby star. check the alignment of your finder scope?

at 70-100x the image will be small but you can see the main bands and even the great red spot just (I can see it at 50x just in my 6" scope).

Seen Jupiter as soon as I set up my scope, starter scope, and all I get is a white disc with four moons but no detail. I am putting this down to the poor EP plus the relatively inexpensive scope. Just ordered a plossle eyepiece, 26mm, but I am tempted to look for a smaller piece given what is being said above.

My scope is a 114mm 500mm. What do people recommend as an ideal size of piece for looking at Jupiter? It is a 1.25inch piece.

Thanks,

Mark

Seen Jupiter as soon as I set up my scope, starter scope, and all I get is a white disc with four moons but no detail. I am putting this down to the poor EP plus the relatively inexpensive scope. Just ordered a plossle eyepiece, 26mm, but I am tempted to look for a smaller piece given what is being said above.

My scope is a 114mm 500mm. What do people recommend as an ideal size of piece for looking at Jupiter? It is a 1.25inch piece.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark, you will get different answers form different people, but maybe a 5mm for 100x.  

Some may say a 4mm for 125x............hard to say what's best, but I prefer a smaller sharper view.

See what others say, Ed.

Hi Mark, you will get different answers form different people, but maybe a 5mm for 100x.  

Some may say a 4mm for 125x............hard to say what's best, but I prefer a smaller sharper view.

See what others say, Ed.

With respect I think a 5mm will give the OP 140x and 4mm 175x.

Archived