Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 200p dob fine focus upgrade?

I would like to add fine focus to my SW focuser but am undecided on what to do. Which would you add and why?

SW autofocuser @ £49

10:1 upgrade @ £60

Or

Complete upgrade to SW or Revelation/TS dual speed focuser @ £125.

I have the latest single speed SW focuser. Visual use only.

Your thoughts and experiences are as ever much appreciated.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

The skywatcher autofocus attaches to the single speed part even if you have the 10:1 focuser. Motorised focusing seems so much better than manual because the image stays steady - and the adjustment is so fine, the 10:1 is unnecessary anyway (and, of course, you can't use the remaining manual focus wheel once the motor is attached).

Basically I'd get the motorised focus, doubly so as it's cheaper. The only consideration is whether to spend £250 on a stepper based solution, but that is only worthwhile for astrophotography and true software based autofocus routines,

I upgraded to a full low profile focuser with 10:1 - never looked back.

Fantastic for visual and imaging. Being able to fine focus has made the difference in being able to see fine detail or not.

the only drawback is that I had to purchase a 50mm extension tube to gain focus with EPs and camera.

Lee

You can go for this one for £99 (when back in stock that is):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Its a straight swap with your current focuser......no drilling or cutting needed.

Then sell the Single speed for £40. Total cost £60.

The £125 models have a different base plate, even the SW. And require either finding a compatible base plate (not easy these days) or drilling the tube.

The only problem with the autofocuser is it has no clutch and as such you are tied to its relatively slow speed (even at max). Which is a pain if you had a barlow in and then needed move the focuser a long way.

I added the Lacerta at the weekend to my 200p... no first light with it yet but it was easy to do, following the instructions and feed above.. feels solid.... looks like a good piece of kit... just need a break with the weather..

Aye bye gum. That was easy.

All sorted.

I used a needle file first, then the oil stone, then Wet n Dry paper, then Brasso.

Note: the video at 2:20 shows that the top 10mm of the groove isn't used.

If you try this at home, concentrate on taking enough metal near the bottom stop, and don't bust a gut with the top 10mm of the runner.

Focus.JPG Focuser.JPG

Archived