Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lacerta 1:10 Dual Speed upgrade kit.

So I got the Lacerta Dual Speed upgrade kit two days ago and got the time to install it today. It was a straight forward easy 10-15 minutes job, including minor adjustments and taking a few pics along the way. The focuser is slightly stiffer (but very smooth) in movement now than it was before. Can't wait for the weather to improve to try it out for real.

post-22147-0-07538200-1387364060_thumb.j

post-22147-0-07940300-1387364061_thumb.j

post-22147-0-90935600-1387364061_thumb.j

post-22147-0-74237000-1387364062_thumb.j

And a little weight test. :grin:

post-22147-0-70434600-1387364063_thumb.j

Got a SW focuser with the Lacerta upgrade on my Dob. Makes life much better. When you next use it can you tell me one thing though - when you turn the fine focus a very small amount does it tend to spring back a little - I'm trying to figure out what is causing it with mine and whether it is inherent in the design or if it needs adjusting. Anyway, even with the issue it's still much better than when it was single speed!

When I bought mine they were £65 (so maybe a spot more now but not much). They work a treat and I've not had any "back spring" sensation with mine. Possibly the grub screw that fastens it onto the axle bar is loose and just needs snicking up? There's a small flat that it needs to screw straight downwards onto. :)

When I bought mine they were £65 (so maybe a spot more now but not much). They work a treat and I've not had any "back spring" sensation with mine. Possibly the grub screw that fastens it onto the axle bar is loose and just needs snicking up? There's a small flat that it needs to screw straight downwards onto. :)

Seconded :)

Very nice! It'll make a difference.

One of the things I never liked about my SW 200P and the reason I went for a GSO Dob was the dual speed focuser. It seems if all your scopes have such focuser you find it a bit awkward being without one. :)

I'm used to the dual speed on my 150PDS, but it wasn't until I got the dob that I realized just how much I like that feature. Wanted a fairly easy and not too expensive way to get that and the Lacerta upgrade kit fit the bill nicely.

Got a SW focuser with the Lacerta upgrade on my Dob. Makes life much better. When you next use it can you tell me one thing though - when you turn the fine focus a very small amount does it tend to spring back a little - I'm trying to figure out what is causing it with mine and whether it is inherent in the design or if it needs adjusting. Anyway, even with the issue it's still much better than when it was single speed!

I tried the focuser both with and without the heavy Panaview EP and I didn't notice any spring back what so ever. But there are some minor adjustments that can be done. Perhaps that can solve your problem? Instructions can be found here (scroll down): http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

What sort of price is the upgrade kit for these? I hated the std one on my 200p and then 300p so upgraded to a moonlite but obviously this would be much cheaper than a full upgrade

£56.00 at 365astronomy and €69,00 at TeleskopExpress. That's about what I payed for it from a swedish retailer as well.

Another +1 for the Lacerta dual speed upgrade, nicely made and great improvement over the stock synta single speed model on my Black Diamond Explorer 200P.    I would also recommend the Astronomyshed focuser improvement modification - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofOSAMlqZWw

Whilst the draw tube is out it's a also a good opputunity to paint the end of the drawtube matt black - though not the bearing tracks!

Archived