Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

C11 first light and Jupiter, great night out.

DannyHarvey

After buying the C11 about a month ago and then finding my altitude bolt was bent (now replaced) the poor weather further stopped me from trying out the new scope.

It was always in the back of my mind as to whether it was going to be a dog - you know the sort of things with SCT's - mirror flop bad collimation from kick off.

I took advantage of the the rainy nights to fashion a polar scope camera holder and reticule illuminator for a newly purchased polar scope so this was a night of many tests.

Setting up was a breeze (about a minute) with a camera attached to the polar scope - but my illuminator needs a bit more work just to throw some more light to the centre of the reticule - will fix that later this week.

Decided not to do a full alignment as the clouds were rolling in (not much to align off), so just went for solar system align and slewed to Jupiter. This gave me a chance to set up the newly un-adjusted finder scopes. Ouch! the stock 9 x 50 hurts my neck at this angle, must replace that at some point with a right angled one. No point in being uncomfortable!

Used my Baader zoom EP - set it on 8mm! Wow, much more detail here that my C6. And whats that tiny black dot on Jupiter? UFO? Spec of dust? Pulled out my phone and ran Stellarium, zoomed in on Jupiter. Ganymede's shadow! Whats the chance of that on my first night.

Next thing I'm rummaging around for my Neximage 5 and Batnov mask - I hadn't intended to take any pictures - the scope had barely cooled from being indoors, the seeing was average and it was misty, but I just had to catch this moment before the clouds rolled in.

I was relieved to find very little image shift when focusing, much less than the C6 - just a mild shift to the left here. The Bahtinov image looks much clearer on this scope too (I've now slewed to Betelgeuse), bigger and brighter.

Back to Jupiter and the first image of many rolls of the computer. I've seen much better from a C11 but its fairly decent, and a good reminder of my first night out with this scope!

post-28261-0-11966200-1391348601_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes its on the CG5! It wasn't too bad for this sort of thing (planetary) - the wind does make it jiggle a bit, but it still stayed in the frame!

Cool, I've been tempted to try a C9.25 on my EQ5 but its a bit near the mark !

The CG5 seems to be better made I guess.

I'm tempted... My 150 takes about the same time. Might wimp out and go with a C8, I can get a new one for around the same price as a used C9.25 or 11... Or I might stick with the 150 and spend nothing :-) <br />

Really like your image though!

Thanks Robin. 

For my first try using the C11 I'm very happy with it - I'm wondering whether to boost the scale a bit next time with a Barlow...

Also got to find a nice cool place to store the scope - it takes ages for it to cool down!

Dan

That`s a lovely first light image with your C11 Danny - bodes well for the future... :smiley:

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived