SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

International Astronomy Show IAS 2014

Ouroboros

Didn't bother this year as last year I spent so much time getting between the M1 and Leamington Spa that it made the the whole trip quite long in time. The road looks fairly good and straight but the reality was different.

Also nothing I really want and a 2 hour drive and the entrance adds up.

Also being on your own means that once you decide to leave the only real option is the drive back.

Astrofest may be in a smaller place but at least afterwards you have bits in London to go look around.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ronin,

I think you were unlucky with the roads last year, Leamington is pretty well placed to get to Cambridge via the A46, M6 and A14. And Leamington Spa is right next door to Warwick with probably the best preserved castle in all of England.

Regarding admission costs, I do agree that charging for kids is a bit short sighted. If they did a family ticket for £15 they'd be encouraging youngsters to come with their mums and dads and surely that would encourage their interest in our hobby...how many of us 50 somethings were inspired by a first view of a Dixons/Prinz 60mm refractor? And the scopes on show at the IAS were far more impressive!

Still got the Dixon's / Prinz 60mm I had at 16. It's on a simple equatorial head that dad knocked up for it.

Ah, well, maybe next year.

Oh, and WE NEED PICS please!

on the way out I had a look through the Daystar Quark HA eyepiece and was seriously impressed, if I hadn't bought a Lunt PT 60 last year I'd be buying one and saving myself £1000, they should sell like hot cakes.

Also had a look through the Daystar Quark eyepiece.  Wow.  "Will it work on my ED80 without cooking it?", I asked in my ignorance.  "Yes sir, exactly what it's for… you'd end up with a very cost-effective solar scope."  Hmmm…. makes sense.  The saving begins!

Today was my first experience of an Ha view of the sun.  Worth going for that.  And for the opportunity of falling in love with the shiny aluminium of the Moonraker scopes.  Truly gorgeous to behold.  Beautifully conceived and engineered.  Move house, buy cheaper house.  Build observatory, buy a Moonraker.  "Darling, I've had an idea…"

An enjoyable visit, and managed to limit the plastic waving to a couple of books and a few adapter widgets.

We went yesterday and although the show was excellent I did think it was a bit expensive on the entrance fee as we had 2 adults and 2 kids. Seemed a bit much charging for kids for what is essentially an astro market. If I were to go again it would be solo I think. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree but worth thinking about if you plan on dragging family along.

Don't disagree with that.  Its very shortsighted of the organisers to charge for youngsters.  They are potential future customers/enthusiasts.  The location is very odd, its hardly easy to get to for some folk.  Anyway, I shall go to Astrofest which is much easier and more appealing from here.

It might make sense to move the show around the country year on year. I can see that for some people it must be tricky to reach. For me in south Oxfordshire it's a doddle, but I probably wouldn't bother if I lived in Manchester, say, or the north east.

Archived