SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

International Astronomy Show IAS 2014

Ouroboros

Is the IAS 2014 running in Warwickshire this year? Their website seems only to advertise last year's event. Is it around June 7th?

Sorry if this information is discussed somewhere else on SGL. A search threw up nought.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a much stronger line up of speakers this year.  I also understand that this year the talks will be in a marquee, so a much better venue for the talks as well.  IMHO, the facilities at the site (parking, access, space [no pun intended], restaurant) are way better than Astrofest.  I plan to go to both again this year.  If the IAS is as good as it sounds it will be this year, I may give Astrofest a miss in future years.

Yep I thinking it is looking good.

Btw if you are booking your tickets you don't have to pay after picking each one. When you select a ticket click the checkout button and it takes you to your basket then go back and pick another. Took me a minute to figure it out (it was very late  :tongue: )

HTH

Nice to have the car around but found that the trip was long. Took quite some time to get to the place so the fuel cost was somewhat higher then the train. The IAS had more space there but much the same items, suppose little chance of a major difference really in equipment however.

To me the convenience of train to London, sit down and look out the window, and the possiblity of half the day at Astrofest and the remainder I can either stay there or visit other places - plan on the Natural History Museum this year. The IAS is in the middle of nowhere. It was drive there, look round, drive back.

Decision may well come down to the weather.

Is anybody having trouble getting the tickets site to work? Keep trying but comes up error all the time.

Yes,  I have tried today but to no avail.  I registered my details but then it wouldn't let me login to complete payment.  I'm going to try tomorrow in office hours so I can phone if its still messing about.

I think it's nice to have an event that caters for those of us living north of the M25 :D. it cost me less than the price of a london pint to get there...almost.

had a great time last year and plan on doing the same again this year.

IMHO, the facilities at the site (parking, access, space [no pun intended], restaurant) are way better than Astrofest. 

I remember when the site first opened, one of the first events was a Living History fair. It was a shed in a farmers field, with a field next door for parking. The wind whistled through the metal sheeting that made up the walls and it was so muddy that the farmer had to pull people out of the car park with his tractor ;) The following year they had insulated the building and graveled the car park, it is quite a nice site now. Although I do snigger when ever I hear "Warickshire Exhibition Centre", it is still a glorified barn in a field in the middle of nowhere.

If i can put off purchasing a scope and mount until then I will pop over and have a good look at all of the kit in real life. Scopes and mounts always look so small and dainty in photos, I need to see the kit in person to see if I can actually move it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived