Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

International Astronomy Show IAS 2014

Ouroboros

I'm about an hour away. First show for me so very much looking forward to drooling over all the gear as there's no proper retailers near me. Also booked up for three lectures on the Saturday so it'll be a busy one for me. Unless I convince the Mrs that I neeeeed to go back on the Sunday!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just rechecked the dates, it's in JUNE not JULY D'oh!

But I still don't think I can afford to take time out from the manic de-cluttering I'm doing, and I don't want to spend any money on things that aren't absolutely essential (ie, food, heat, light) until everything is done-and-dusted.

Still bother!

If anybody is going from the Cambridge area, but doesn't like driving, I have seats going spare. It's not that much further than my daily commute, so it's no biggy. :)

I could do a city center en masse pickup - just putting it out there!

By the way, is their website down?

Russell

I'll be there early Saturday for the 10am talk, I will be leaving around 8:30.

If anyone from Northants wants to go let me know I have a spare seat in the car :smiley:

Shaun

The venue isn't so far for me so I'm planning just to visit the show for a couple of hours on the Saturday. Got to deliver a tripod I'm holding for a buyer too. My first show, am really looking forward to it.

Dave

Giving some thought to driving down tomorrow. Id ruled it out as i had plans, which have now fallen through. Is it worth a 3 hour drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from the IAS. The credit card took a right pounding! Celestron cpc 800 and Astrozap heated dew shield ordered from FLO. A qhy5l-ii colour camera from Modern Astronomy and a Celestron illuminated reticle from Green Witch. Really like this show.

Just got back from the show with a nice pair of Vixen 2.1 x 42 bino's and a CCD ordered :) on the way out I had a look through the Daystar Quark HA eyepiece and was seriously impressed, if I hadn't bought a Lunt PT 60 last year I'd be buying one and saving myself £1000, they should sell like hot cakes.

Mel

I went on the Saturday last year and was near the front of the queue when the doors opened.  I only spent a bit on SSAG kit.  I'm off again tomorrow and am hoping to grab a bargain of some sort or other.  Don't particularly need anything, but I'm sure I will find something I want when I have a wander about.  Brill show and highly recommended, if only for a nosey to see all those wonderful scopes.   I've allowed myself a hundred quid, so will see what takes my fancy ;)

I think the £45k frac may be a bit out of my price range.  Those Moonrakers were beautiful too I agree, but again a bit beyond me (until I retire in about 20 years time ).

:)

Good show today. Well worth going. Managed to get off lightly with only spending less than 30 quid (phew!) on a couple of vey small items. My impression was that there were marginally more exhibitors this year compared with last. I enjoyed the two imaging lectures - Nik Szymanek's and Kevin Nelson's.

Ah, I'll be thinking of all you poor souls slaving away at the thankless task of spending money on astro kit while I'm having fun carting bin-bags to the tip.

/irony

We went yesterday and although the show was excellent I did think it was a bit expensive on the entrance fee as we had 2 adults and 2 kids. Seemed a bit much charging for kids for what is essentially an astro market. If I were to go again it would be solo I think. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree but worth thinking about if you plan on dragging family along.

Archived