Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

how do you deal with the frustration with cloudy sky's

I guess its much easier for us new to all this to find astronomy related things to do on cloudy nights.

A bit of research at the minute and hoping that the forecast for a clear Saturday is correct.

Last Saturday I was too tired, very long day and late night Friday.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I'm in the mood for the stars and clouds roll in, I spend a couple of hours planning my next session - what to look at, how to find it, as well as including a few easy objects just in case I fail at the harder ones :rolleyes:  This ends up taking a couple of hours - enough time to satisfy my craving for the day :cool:

Have had the last four days off ...........thick cloud and/ or rain; now back on to work for three night shifts and I see there is the vague prospect of some clearing of the clouds during that time..................................[removed word]!!

I usually find research and buying astro stuff helps - haha, essentially some or all of.

1. on here

2. buying astro gear :D

3. researching gear

4. learning to processing any data I've collected (no much to date)

5. studying

6. one of various other hobbies which are mostly indoors (playing drums, guitar, sometimes writing music) etc

7. reading (about all-sorts)

I'm ok with clouds, I just do other things. The rain depresses me. What I hate the most is being taunted by clear spells and then usually just after getting all setup the clouds roll over...

Kirscovitch, I am intrigued, what is baked ziti? Never heard of that.

Not to hard to make. Here's a basic recipe and then do like I do. Just put in whatever you want! I made mine with mushrooms, green peppers, onion and mild italian sausage.

As far as getting into the good graces of ones wife or girlfriend, I just outdid myself  :grin:.

I finished work at 2am. Got home and took the SLT out for an imaging session with Jupiter. (saw the SN in M82 too!)

She was asleep on the couch when I got home and managed to sneak out without waking her. After finishing up outside I snuck back in and started my usual routine. Cruising the forums, checking Facebook, processing images.

By now it's almost 6am and she woke up and started getting ready for work (teacher). She wanted to know why I was still up. I answered that I wanted to see her smiley happy face before she left and I went to bed. But she knew better and said, "You went out with your telescope didn't you?"

I had to admit that I did, but also told her that since I was still up I would make her breakfast. That seemed to smooth things over.

She even mentioned that she could get used to this  :grin:

I love to cook so that gives me something to do. Last Sunday I was bored enough to make a pan of baked ziti at 10pm. Wasn't hungry. Didn't even eat any of it that night. But it gave me something to do and at least I'll have leftovers for work this week!

Matt, what is ziti? I have never heard of it.

how do you guys deal with the frustration with cloudy sky's

its doing my head in, not a single star to be seen

nothing but cloud :(

I work on my imaging skills and study lots of tutorials. I also do Terrestrial photography, but to honest since I took up AP I don't find that challenging at all. So basically I plan the next AP session and what I hope to achieve on that night - nearly always doesn't work though as either scope or power pack or CCD or DSLR decides to play up. Oh the joy's of Astronomy. 

:eek:

Archived