Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5??

Greg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking of getting either and HEQ5 or 6. I was thinking initially about a planetary scope which will do for DSO such as the skymax 150 pro, with the possibility of getting a newt on it at a later stage. It seems that an HEQ5 would really be struggling with a 10" Newt which might make an HEQ 6 a better buy. From what I can gather HEQ6's are pretty likely to induce a hernia. How practical are they?

Martin

HI MARTIN, I have the EQ6 i have made a wood T frame and mounted the tripod , head and weights as they come and find it a breeze to use the wood frame has 5 wheels attached so i leave it set up all the time and just roll it out of the garage when i use it know set up time mate.

The EQ6 is big and is certainly no lightweight. But I don't setting it up or moving it around a chore.

I upgraded from an EQ5 to the EQ6, never missed the manual slow mo. Just disengage, move manually to the right area and then finish off with 16x slew. Same applies to the HEQ5.

A 10" scope (Newt or SCT) will be pushing the absolute limits of the HEQ5. Unless it's one of the Orion Optics OTA's, they tend to be a lot lighter.

I setup the EQ6 with just the little 80mm Antares on top...just about copes!

Russ

I can't quite visualise it Tom. Do you have any pics. My mount will probably have to be stored indoors initially and then a secure summer house when we get round to putting one up - I can then call it may observatory :lol:

Martin

That's encouraging Russ - you aren't 6' 4" and play rugby league for Wigan are you.

Martin

Greg - the HEQ5 has x2, x8, x16

Martin - You may well be better off with EQ6 - better to have the capacity in hand rather than the drives struggling all the time. I move my HEQ5 round a lot, but then I'm a big strong chap and I don't mind :lol:

That's encouraging Russ - you aren't 6' 4" and play rugby league for Wigan are you.

Martin

Martin,

Ive got an EQ6 and I'm 5'8 and 10 stone, its not a difficult setup at all. Four trips: tripod, mount, weights then scope. Easy! :lol:

Gaz

No not at all!   Just 6ft and worked building sites all my life. Struggle across a building site with a 15kg bucket of conctrete in each hand. :lol:

Being serious, i have no trouble with the mount, 80mm refractor and 3.5Kg weight. But the C8 and weights is a real back breaker. The 10" SCT OTA and 2 x 7Kg weights was practically unmoveable.

Russ

Always having a pop at refractors aint you?   :nono: :whip2:

Just passing time in work mate..... :lol:

On the EQ6, it does surprise me the number of people who have concerns about being able to set one up. They really arn't that heavy or cumbersome, any able bodied bloke should be able to set one up without any bother.

They just seem to have a bad reputation as being monsters!!! :lol:

Martin

You've met Russ then!?!

I love my HEQ5, but I am considering swapping the 8" Newt and HEQ5 for a GPDX and 80mm sentinal.

Regards

Ant

I'm in a strange place at the mo Gaz, my head is all over the place. I don't want to do something that I'll regret... My first plan is to just persuade the wife to let me buy a third scope...

Cause I love the Newt, I've added a motorised crayford and I know that in 6 months I'll regret it. But just don;t seem to have the motivation to do anything with all the kit that I have.

Ant

We all have months here and there when, even though the sky is clear, you'd rather be on the sofa watching TV. Why don't you give it through to the summer and see how much use you've got out of your kit and how you feel then?

I havn't had my Newt out for a least a month (weather and motivation) but I know the itch will return, if fact I can feel it!!

Gaz

Archived