Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrophotography fraudster. Surely?

long_arms

LOL. This chap really is a strange one. 

"his" image of Rhea. 

http://www.twitter.com/solarview/status/423111074422849536/photo/1

And Cassini's:

http://www.seasky.org/solar-system/assets/images/rhea01_sk12.jpg

Looks like his HRMI technique consists of stealing images from probes...and ruining them with levels adjustments in photoshop. Wow...thats groundbreaking stuff :grin:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. This chap really is a strange one. 

"his" image of Rhea. 

http://www.twitter.com/solarview/status/423111074422849536/photo/1

And Cassini's:

http://www.seasky.org/solar-system/assets/images/rhea01_sk12.jpg

Looks like his HRMI technique consists of stealing images from probes...and ruining them with levels adjustments in photoshop. Wow...thats groundbreaking stuff :grin:

Strange? Actually quite rude to you.

Where there are the gullible you will find charlatans. Those that don't know any better buy in to it. If the guy tries to make money off of this then surely he is committing a crime.

I hope the guy doesn't actually believe he is better than NASAs space probes, does he? I mean he must know its bogus. Surely.

My impression is that he might of started off, fully believing that he was actually extracting detail. Then it descended into absolute fraud, probably as he is so heavily invested into the idea that he is on to something unique. At some point he decided plagiarise real images and pass them off as his own.

It goes to show the dangers of confirmation bias and the lengths that some people will go to to prevent having to face the fact that they could be incorrect. I see this a lot in the Apollo hoax crowd. You only have to look at people like Jarrrah White to see how far he will demean himself to prevent admitting that he might actually be wrong.

The science community are not immune. Think of Andrew Wakefield and the MMR fraud case. Think of Fleischmann and Pons and the whole cold fusion debacle in the 1990s. Lovell and the "canals" on Mars. Einstein and Minkowski spacetime, or indeed, his thoughts on quantum mechanics.

One does have to question his motives, given that the images are so patently fraudulent. Attention-seeking probably, but I wonder if he now believes his own fabrications. A deluded individual indeed.

I would figure if he is charging people and using NASAs images fraudulently  then NASAs legal department might be interested.

Would they not?

I know they make their images freely available but to resell them as something else?

Is he actually charging though? He offers to "process" your images here but doesn't mention any money. It's interesting (not that interesting though :rolleyes:  ) to note that he will only accept FITS files that were generated in CCDOPS (the SBIG software). This point alone will show how little he actually knows. What difference would it make which camera was used? FITS files are transportable, so any suitable program should open the image. Whats actually happening is that his super-duper process is nothing more than some steps in CCDOPS followed by some steps in PS *without any real understanding of what is actually taken place*. Its a bit like a caveman operating a TV...he would soon learn that if he pushes certain buttons on the remote control then pictures and sound will emanate from the box in the corner. He would have no understanding on how the pictures and sound appears, much less any comprehension of what's being said or being displayed.

I'm half-way inclined to send him an image that's been doctored to replace a planet with a pure white, fully saturated disc and then see what he makes from it. I would reckon that he will return something similar to what he imagines the planet to look like. His site hasn't been updated since 2012 though, so I'm guessing that he's given up?

I'd also like to see if there is any record of this claim at the IAU: "The discovery was immediately passed on to the International Astronomical Union and later that year, a meeting was held during their general assembly in august,when the HMIR technique was demonstrated and the first Pluto images were shown."

Is he actually charging though? He offers to "process" your images here but doesn't mention any money.

You are right, I'm not sure where I got that from. Probably just my assumption so I apologise for saying that he was but still I'd be none to impressed if he was using my images.

Before anyone else responds I'd like to remind them of the adage:

"Never argue with a fool.  They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Let's just leave it here, folks.  Nothing postive is going to come of this.

James

Well Said, James.

I totally agree, I think we all get the jist now and the thread should perhaps be closed by a moderator. 

I hope the thread isn't deleted all together, so anyone searching the internet will find this. 

Dan

Archived