Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

rjc404

Jupiter 11 Jan from Coventry

Here's one of my efforts from 11th January as seeing was really good compared to what I've seen over the last few months.

Still trying to figure out planetary photography and this is just one of 20 runs (still got loads to process! Plus more to come if I get time). I think my focus was a bit better on this one as I managed to get really sharp on the moon and it's craters before moving back to Jupiter.

This one was taken through a Philips Toucam in a standard Skywatcher 2x barlow attached to my 150PL at 30FPS, full gain.

post-31280-0-13989700-1389599745_thumb.j

If anyone has any ideas on a better barlow for my scope that would get better results let me know (2x, 3x, 5x?)

Thanks for looking,

Rob

That's pretty good. A 150PL with 2x Barlow gives F/16. The chip of the Toucam can quite reasonably be used at F/25 on Jupiter. A 3x would be closest. The Bresser SA Barlow 3x is one of the best (I have the older Meade incarnation and like it)

Thanks for the info. I really need to investigate barlows so I'll look up your suggestion.

Cheers

Rob

You could simply use an extension tube to increase your 2x to 3x. I use an old barlow with the lens screwed off as an extension. Drawing the cam nose piece out of the barlow will also add some focal length.

Very nice image btw!

Where in cov are you from rjc?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers for the comments, appreciated. 

I was using the old cam nose piece as far out of the barlow trick as far as I could.

If I go down the extension tube route is there any formula to work out how much extension you need to make a 2x into 3x? Or is it just guesswork?

I'll probably invest in a new barlow though as the Skywatcher 2x barlow that came with my scope probably isn't the greatest piece of glass.

Oh and Houston, south-west Coventry.

Rob

Nice jupiter rob. You know what the next question is! Where's the best spots around here?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Richard - Houston ,  no idea to be honest what the best spots are around the Coventry area as I've only viewed and imaged from my suburban back garden dodging lights from neighbors curtains until they go to bed. The Ryton area is probably good. Coombe Abbey maybe if a bit more local? I'm generally too lazy to cart my scope anywhere other than my garden.

That's a great picture, and im really happy that its with the 150PL as i have just ordered it :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Victor Boesen
      Yesterday I managed to climb out of bed at a little past 3:30AM to get my small portable rig out to a small nearby park and setup to observe Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. I got the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro last summer so I was especially excited to see how it would perform on Mars because of its red wavelengths which many small fracs often have trouble with handling.
      At first it was partly cloudy but I persisted and was out and setup on the field at around 4AM. The sky was already surprisingly bright here in Denmark but Jupiter was shining bright and Saturn faintly visible almost right besides Jupiter. Fortunately for me it wasn't too cold, but I was happy I brought some gloves anyways;)

This picture was taken at 5AM while I was observing Mars.
      I remember from last year that my scope didn't perform great on Jupiter for some reason, and the view of the gas giant wasn't anything different this time either. Using my 4.7mm ES 82 degree eyepiece not much detail visible except the two main bands and its moons. I would later return to Jupiter after the scope had cooled down a little and the view was perhaps a little sharper.
      Pointing the scope at Saturn, which I was very satisfied with last year, I was amazed of the detail the small scope managed to squeeze out. It doesn't compare to the view I had last year with my 10" dob under great conditions at 255X but I was able to easily spot surface banding on the planet itself, and the Cassini division was also surprisingly stable. I really enjoy the stable and consistent view through the small refractor! I observed Saturn for quite a while until I eventually set out to try to find Mars. At this point I couldn't even see Saturn with the naked eye but I was fortunate that Saturn and Mars were approximately the same elevation above the horizon.
      After a few sweeps across where I though Mars would be I finally located the small red speckle, this time with my 6.7mm eyepiece so I had a larger FOV. Switching to the 4.7mm, though still very small, I was surprised that I could pick up a dark surface marking across the disk on the lower southern half of the disk. Furthermore, the southern polar cap was really pronounced and you couldn't miss it. I watched Mars drift through the FOV until about 30 minutes after sunrise where the contrast between the planet and the sky became too low and the dew started to set on the lens element.
      Using my small refractor for observing the planets I have always wanted to magnify things a little bit more, and I think the telescope would have no problem doing so. A Nagler zoom 3-6mm has been on my wish-list for a couple of years now, but the upcoming planet season really makes me want to find one second hand
      Here's a video I've made that covers what I've written above with some footage I tried capturing through the eyepiece:
      I hope everyone on here is still doing well despite the current situation!
      Clear skies!
      Victor
    • By Stub Mandrel
      Forgot to post the final version of this one. Please with the detail.

• By spaceman_spiff
      This is a re-processed set of 159 images taken from a few years ago. Each image was generated from a 3 minute video. It shows Europa passing across the face of Jupiter casting it's shadow across the northern hemisphere. Telescope: Skymax 150 Maksutov with a TeleVue 2x Barlow lens and a Baader fringe killer filter. Camera: Canon 550D in 640x480 crop mode. ISO Auto at 1/60s exposure. Processing: Quality filtering and centring done using Pipp, stacking and wavelets processing done using Registax 6.
    • By Lee_P
      Lots of astro kit for sale! Payment via bank transfer or PayPal (buyer to pay fees). Reasonable offers considered.

1. Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit with auto focuser upgrade -- £350
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, 2" to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, dovetail, tube rings, SkyWatcher Auto Focuser, HitecAstro DC Focus Controller USB, metal case. Approx. cost new: £562. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer to arrange for a courier. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below).
      Main items similar to: 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-outfit.html
      https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html
      http://ensoptical.co.uk/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller-usb

2. Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80 -- £120 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK 
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

3. Sky-Watcher Skymax 150 PRO -- £300
      Comes with diagonal, 28mm 2” eyepiece, and dovetail. Note: doesn’t come with a finder / guider, but I have some available (listed below). Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-150-pro.html
      Works well with items 7, 8, and 9.

4. Sky-Watcher 9x50 and QHY5 mono guidescope -- £150 inc. recorded delivery to mainland UK
      Includes T thread adapter attaching the QHY5 to the finderscope. Also includes kit to convert into a regular optical finderscope. 

5. Sky-Watcher 9x50 Finderscope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-finderscope.html

6. Sky-Watcher EQ3 PRO mount -- £220
      In pretty good condition, and includes the handset for full goto functionality. Unboxed. Buyer to collect from central Bristol, or buyer can arrange for a courier.
      It's an earlier version of this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

7. Astrozap Dew Heater Tape, 6" 'scope -- £30 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-dew-heater-tapes.html

8. Astrozap Flexible Dew Shield for Skymax 150 -- £20 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/astrozap-flexible-dew-shield.html

9. StarSharp Bahtinov Focus Mask 150mm Maksutov -- £10 inc. delivery to mainland UK
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bahtinov-focus-masks/starsharp-bahtinov-focus-masks.html

Items 1 and 4:

Item 2:

Items 3, 5, 7:

Item 5:

Item 6:

Item 8:

Item 9:

• By mikeyscope
      This planetary grouping from 20th March around 5.30am shows Saturn to the left with conjunction of Jupiter above & Mars below, sharp eyed may also see...  Io, Ganymede & Callisto in a string just right of Jupiter.
      Image taken from Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire looking toward the SE.
      Pentax K1 / Pentax 67  165mm lens / Exp. 2 secs @f8 / iso 200
      Ioptron tracker at siderial.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.