Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you could visit one place in space.....

Vagif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say that seeing other life would be quite something, though. I'm sure it's out there.

Olly

I f you look at all the species here that can not only see stars but use them then i am confident that every time you look at Andromeda there is a good chance that eyes are looking back.

Alan

I think some of the portrayals are a bit unrealistic though. It will look like another Magellanic cloud, and then like a second Milky Way, I reckon. Great from a dark sky site, if any still exist, but invisible from a city.

And if I want to be pessimistic, I'll say that global artificial lighting will have caused humans to evolve for bright light only, losing our night vision. Even if the skies were dark for once, we'd never see more than we do in a city today.

It shows how it actually look, not what it will look through our eyes  :laugh: Still amazing though, wonder if you could view other nebulas in Andromeda. But at that time in the future, i actually believe you could visit them too... 

Good call bomberbaz! Sitting at a safe distance as a red hypergiant star reaches the moment of collapse and discards its outer layers in an explosion and implodes into a black hole would be truly stunning. Failing that, watching our red giant friend Betelgeuse bite the dust (if it hasn't already done so) would come a close second.

Rob

I'm torn between two places to visit. First, I'd like to go to Pluto just to tell it that I've always considered it to be a planet, no matter what the IAU says! After that I'd quite like to head off and try to find the Tannhauser Gate :)

Sitting atop the: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(spacecraft)#Galileo_Probe - But with a Camera.

I always craved a "side view" of the Jovian cloud tops. Would they really look like e.g. our Cumulo Nimbus - But in yellow, orange, brown, purple etc. Though being crushed by 230 gee on entry, to be ultimately fried in a "metallic" hydrogen soup might have been LESS fun. :p

I think I would like two things being greedy.

To be there before the Big Bang so I would know where it was and what was before and I would like to have been all seeing in Dallas at 1pm back in 1963 so I would know what happened and who did it.

ALAN.

My inner bibliophile wants me to say dinner at Milliways, the restaurant at the end of the universe :p

But in all seriousness, I'd want to be somewhere on the edge of a nebula, looking in, I imagine it'd look absolutely stunning. I want this to be the view from my back garden:

http://i.imgur.com/XYjv5V1.jpg

(if anyone else uses Space Engine, by the way, search for RS 8409-1357-8-7183429-234 4 by the Carina Nebula, if you wanted to find that. A purely hypothetical planet, of course, but that doesn't make it any less pretty)

I think I would like two things being greedy.

To be there before the Big Bang so I would know where it was and what was before and I would like to have been all seeing in Dallas at 1pm back in 1963 so I would know what happened and who did it.

ALAN.

i think the modern understanding is that there is no before the big bang. space and time or, more accurately,  space/time as we know it were created at the start of the universe. there is no time or place to visit before the big bang.

i think the modern understanding is that there is no before the big bang. space and time or, more accurately,  space/time as we know it were created at the start of the universe. there is no time or place to visit before the big bang.

this is correct but also incorrect. Our time/universe began 13.8 billion years since, but there had to be something before this. Its just our current understanding does not know what! So with Alan on this, I would like to find out what the What is , Does that make sense ?

this is correct but also incorrect. Our time/universe began 13.8 billion years since, but there had to be something before this. Its just our current understanding does not know what! So with Alan on this, I would like to find out what the What is , Does that make sense ?

no i don't think  ur correct. there does not have to be anything before the big bang .

when there are zero dimensions there is no  space and no time (by definition) . 

only at the moment of the big bang did space-time come into existence.

i'll nip across to physics forums later and get some clarity on this and then come back to you.

no i don't think  ur correct. there does not have to be anything before the big bang .

when there are zero dimensions there is no  space and no time (by definition) . 

only at the moment of the big bang did space-time come into existence.

i'll nip across to physics forums later and get some clarity on this and then come back to you.

come to think of it I did watch something on national geographic that agrees with this, but as none of us were around then, it is still unproven whatever anyone hypothesizes about, lets just settle for seeing the big bang however it happened

I'd wait until a few million years after the Big Bang when nasty Background Radiation has cooled to more bearable temperatures and stars galaxies have started forming. Perhaps a bit more to look at by then and you won't need a welder's mask :D

Archived