NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperions or Maxvision (Meade 5000 SWA) ?

luminova11

Hi,

I'd appreciate a little advice. I am looking to start my eyepiece collection and I am torn between the Hyperions/Asphrics and the Maxvision 68° (Meade 5000 SWA). I have a Skyliner 200p f:6. I know that both are well thought of. I like the adaptability of the Baaders and the look and construction of the Maxvisions but ultimately it comes down to the quality of the view given. I would appreciate your experiences so I can make a more informed decision. I would like to keep to the same brand for all focal lengths, I like sets.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Hyperions on my C9.25 ota and I love them. They are very forgiving in a slow scope like mine, but as yours is a fast one I don't know how they would fare against the other ones you are looking at. There will be someone along shortly who is better qualified than me to offer and opinion. As you also mentioned, the adaptability of the Hyperions with their modular design is excellent and was a big selling point for me.

............. I would like to keep to the same brand for all focal lengths, I like sets.

If you go for MaxVisions, you won't get a full set

The 16mm is the shortest, and it will work fine in a barlow to give you an equivalent of 8mm.

Then you will need another make of eyepiece to take you up to 200x magnification and beyond.

I am looking for a decent 6mm, and the Delos is favorite at the moment

You also need consider how the sizes will match up with each other.

I got the 24mm to avoid using the 2" eyepeice adaptor

But the 16mm view is very close to the 24mm at 50x and 75x magnifications.

In hindsight I should have gone for the 28mm and 16mm to get 43x / 75x

If you want a fully matching set, the 60-degree BST's are worth considering as well.

If you decide to go with the excellent MaxVisions - consider which eyepieces and which sizes you need beyond 16mm.

A quality set up for your f6 dob is the 24 and 16mm maxvisions plus a good quality Barlow , I had these two with a telextender ( bresser) .

Gave me focal lengths 24 , 16 , 12 , 8mm .

If you like sets that's the only way to get the higher powers.

Hi,

I can't tell anything about the Hyperions but the Maxvision 16 and 24mm are working fine for me at my f/5 scopes (4" refractor, 10" reflector). I think they're a great deal for the price. Only point with the 24mm is the weight of roughly 380 grams.

Clear Skies!

Achim

In my humble opinion, the Maxvisions are better value at similar focal lengths.

I tried a couple of Hyperions in my F5 200p and it pulled them apart in the outer FOV. I couldn't see them as an upgrade over my then BST Explorers at half the price. A lot of theoretical value is placed in the Baader fine tuning rings, but in the dark they're very fiddly and most people would probably use a less faffy Barlow.

By comparison, the MVs (24mm and down) were very crisp to near the edge in my far more demanding F4.9 12" Dob and as soon as that was replaced by the F6 8", I flogged my coma corrector. An F6 scope like yours means coma is virtually a non-issue and the MVs make astigmatism likewise. They Barlow really well to get you up to 150x in your scope and for shorter focal length EPs (you won't need many) it's worth having a look at under rated EPs like the WO SPLs.

Russell 

I use Hyperions with my F6 200P Skyliner, and my F10 TAL100R, and they perform perfectly well in both telescopes to my eyes. Although I've built up a collection of Hyperions, I do use the fine tuning rings on most observing nights, and don't find them difficult or fiddly to use. They are great to tweak out that little bit extra when the viewing conditions allow so I think they give me more flexibility than a barlow, which I used to use. I don't make use of the camera threads but they have that going for them too.

To complete my collection I could get the 36mm Aspheric, 10mm & 3.5mm, but my eyepiece case is full :)

if you can meet up with someone who has Hyperions then you could see what you think of them in your telescope, otherwise they come up for sale fairly regularly from £60...ish.

Enjoy :)

I currently have 1x ES 68° (optically the same as the Maxvision and I have had a Meade 8.8mm, again optically the same as MV, I have also had 13 and 17 Hyperions and currently have a 3.5mm Hyperion. The ES/Meade/MV are better optically, but the Hyperions are more comfortable in the shorter focal lengths. In an f/6 telescope I doubt there would be much difference. They are all pretty good :)

Well it arrived this morning, VERY well packaged. First impressions are very good and if the optics match the engineering I'll be more than happy. Only negative so far is the eye lens cap. It is molded to match the profile of the ep but is made from hard plastic and just will not stay put.aguqadag.jpgyty7aju6.jpgyvaqa8am.jpg7ysunyva.jpgsy5aqate.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I have both the 24 and 16mm MV's. It took a while for them to be shipped but once they were they were deliverd quickly. I think the site is quite misleading saying in stock normally dispatched within 24 hours.. Mine was more like 10 days,

Saying that they are great value for money so I can't complain. The 24mm a really great EP :)

Think I will have to get me a few of those MaxVisions, I'm quite fed up with my Plössls. I have been in luck recently and acquired some $$$, looks like it's short lived though, my list of things-to-buy is... Loong!

Just for info, when I bought my scope I was unsure about what eyepieces to get so when I collected it I discussed it with the owner of the shop (from my research, well qualified to give advice) and he recommended a BAADER HYPERION 5mm + fine tuning rings. I took his advice and although it took me a little while to get my head around all the options this gave me (discussions all conducted in French)I am now very pleased with it. With just this one eyepiece and two fine tuning rings I have

1) 22.5mm 2"

2) 5.0mm 1.25"

3) 4.0 mm 1.25"

4) 3.2 mm 1.25"

5) 2.6mm 1.25"

Plus I can attach my DSLR directly to the eyepiece using a M43/T2 adaptor (in the post) for those close up shots. Can't wait!!!!!

but, I hear you say your telescope is limited to a 160x magnification (240x if you read the spec). This may be the case but so far I have tried down or up (whichever way you look at it) to 3.2X with 2x Televue Powermate which I calculate as being 312X mag and I am quite content with the result. Cannot comment on quality against other eyepieces but at roughly £100 it is proving a good buy for me.

Hand held camera body against this 3.2X + Powermate setup the other night, struggled to get clear image but managed to pick out a couple of craters. Hopefully the adaptor will hold the camera steadier than I can.

post-34685-0-07064700-1390689775_thumb.j

Just need them to stay in stock for the next 4 months to complete the set. Probably unnecessary, but I see a nice refractor in the future to accompany the Dob, so the other sizes will make more sense with that. Seems silly to miss any at the current prices.

I've got the 24mm and 16mm Maxvisions too and I think I'm alone in not getting on with them at all :embarassed:

As has been mentioned, the hard plastic cap doesn't stay on and I find it difficult to look into the EPs and not get the image blacking out (vignetting?), especially with the 16mm when barlowed. In fact I've taken to using the 10mm Skywatcher EP that shipped with my telescope in preference! I also find that most of the stars aren't pinpoint sharp across the field. I would expect a little coma/astigmatism around the edges but not to the extent I get in the Maxvisions. The chunky design of the 24mm makes it hard to tighten the thumbscrews when it's put into the focuser and trying to twist the eye cup in and out is a pain in the backside.

These were my first attempt at upgrading to decent EPs and, to be honest, I was really disappointed. Maybe it's just me, or my telescope, as I know loads of people really like them.

Archived