Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperions or Maxvision (Meade 5000 SWA) ?

luminova11

Nope, everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

There wouldn't be numerous different manufacturers and numerous different EP designs if we were also supposed to get along with the same EPs!

They seem to do fine on the 2nd hand market if that's any consolation.  :embarrassed:

Cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get a very short first light with the 16mm MV on Tuesday on the Moon and Jupiter. Bearing in mind that this was a quick dash between the clouds with no cool down for my 200p dob and Jupiter's proximity to the Moon, I was blown away. The Moon was the crispest I have ever seen it loads of detail and good contrast and almost a field filling view. Jupiter although relatively small at 75x was a joy. Eye relief is fairly tight but comfortable, i don't usually observe with glasses but can JUST use them if necessary. I can't wait for this atrocious weather to pass so I can have a proper session with it with a cool 'scope. Much better views than I could have anticipated, very happy. More MVs winging there way to Cornwall from Germany soon. Take this first light report in the spirit that it is meant, a quick first impression in less than ideal circumstances. I am by no means an experienced astronomer, even though I have dabbled since childhood and have owned a number of 'scopes, and I only have the supplied Skywatcher 25mm and10mm Super MAs to compare it to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had the chance to give the 40mm a whirl last night, just amazing. Hundreds of pin point stars right to the edge as far as I could tell. Eye positioning is pretty critical but the large flat screw up eyepiece sorts this out. Once the height is right you can get perfect eye position everytime, because it's so large you have 3 points of contact: your brow bone, cheek bone and the side of your nose and it's really comfortable. I found M81 and M82 with it last night for the first time, doddle. Here's a photo of the moon taken with my LG-G2 phone, handheld through the 40mm ep.post-29919-139438510505_thumb.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

These Maxvisions sure look a lot like the Meade SWA Series 5000 - have the full set and they are very good EP's.

ef85716c7db9d94fc8f3f732e4c458ac.jpg

Meade SWA Series 5000 - 16mm, 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 34mm, 40mm

Best,

Hernando

Blog: Astronomy & Living by Hernando

www.hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.com

Archived