Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best filter for viewing galaxies

Hi all, just getting going with my new CPC925 and want to invest in a handful of filters to aid viewing. I'm settled on a UHC filter to bring out some definition and combat light pollution when looking at Nebulae. Will the same filter work with galaxies? If not, what sort of filter should I invest in? Many thanks in advance and clear skies to you all :-)

There is no filter available for observing galaxies (except maybe a light pollution filter). For that you do need to be in a dark sky location. A UHC filter will improve the views of some nebulae (such as M42). A OIII filter will make other nebulae (invisible to the naked eye) visible, such as the Rosette,Veil etc.

Unfortunatly there is no filter for galaxies. On a good night, i can see Andromeda with the naked eye from my garden (i can find it within seconds). That's a rare event.

Speaking of which, just peeped outside and it's beautifully clear and dark. And Virgo, Leo and Coma are all high in the sky, all bursting with beautiful galaxies. Might have to get up one of these non work mornings for an early spring treat!!

Barry

Archived