NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BST starguider or explorer - is there a difference?

I have several BSTs now, my first eyepiece upgrades from the stock Sky Watcher EPs, and have found them excellent, plus great value. It's not too strong to say they transformed my viewing pleasure actually.

Julian

Just clearing it up - worth the check considering everyone talks about starguiders :p looking at getting a 6mm and 18mm for my scope :)

always worth checking..a couple of minutes can save you from disappointment :)

Just clearing it up - worth the check considering everyone talks about starguiders :p looking at getting a 6mm and 18mm for my scope :)

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the BST 6mm only comes in the older 58 degree eyepiece.

In the newer style, they come in 5mm or 8mm, no 6mm

The BST ED Starguiders come in 5,8,12,18 and 25mm, they are not the same range as the some of the other BSTs like the 6mm TMB or planetary. 

All the starguiders look like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-5mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider-/380679674710?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item58a246db56

edit: bingevader beat me to it :)

I believe the starguiders are also slightly better compared to the TMB for ease of use on the eye especially. Not sure if the views are significant different between the two, apart from the focal length difference.  That is just got from reading around, I only ever tried the starguiders myself so I can't comment on that with any authority.

Got the 8mm for Christmas. A big big improvement on the stock 10mm in terms of image quality.

In terms of the 18mm. The MaxVision 16mm 68deg is fantastic (if a little tight for some in the eye relief dept). I was pondering the BST but having bought the 24mm MaxVision and been blowen away by the quality, I went for their 1. It is an extra £10 to £20 but you'll be getting a great eyepiece.

The MV seems to shade it in terms of optics / image quality and build quality - but not in a different league.

Don't get me wrong. The BSTs are great products. I'm just posing an alternative having gone through the exact same choice in the last couple of months.

Has anyone compared the two 16MV and 18BST side by side?

Paul

Hi all - i guess it's a silly question but it's worth checking all the same - BST starguider or explorer - is there a difference?

Hi........
I believe the BST Explorer/Starguider is  different only in their names. Similar lenses by Astrotech Paradigm, N-ED, Olivion ED and Orion Epic, also have the same build qualities. None however, that Ive seen so far are as well priced as the BST range. And the Range is 5,8,12,15 & 25mm EP's with 60° AFOV and generous eye relief.

esxste........Hi, BST 8,12 & 18mm @21mm and the 25mm is @ 26mm Eye lenses

Thanks Charic, but I suspect I wasn't accurate in what I wanted. I was more thinking of the diameter of the EP as a whole at the viewing end, in the same sense that it is 1.25" at the barrel end?

Apologies to OP for hijacking the thread a little!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived