Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2in eyepiece recommendation

lhuchison

I have a 2in Panaview 32mm which I really like for wide views but was thinking of upgrading .

Any thoughts on make and price? Thinking of spending round the £200 mark or would I have to spend a lot more to improve on the Panaview ?

Thanks in advance.

I use the Nagler T31 for my wide field viewing, excellent eyepiece but very expensive :smiley: only you will know if it is worth the difference.

The exit pupil would be a quite acceptable 3.1mm in your scope thus giving demonic black background contrast.

If the EP is intended only for slow scopes, like your Edge HD, (fast DOBs might be different) I would like to think that these Maxvisions (same as Meade branded SWA) will be noticeable improvemnt from the Panaview. please no e that 34mm and 40mm are heavy beasts.

http://www.explorescientific.de/maxvision-m-354.html

Sticking with the skywatcher theme , the aero eyepieces are good quality and way under your budget. I had the 30mm and found it comfortable to use . So it's fair to say you don't have to spend over £200 to improve over the pan.

I also read a lot of good reports on the nirvana range,

I purchased a 2" Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm eyepiece about a month ago but last night was the first time I've been able to use it properly under perfectly clear skies. It has a 72 degree FOV and I would have no hesitation of recommending it. The Orion Nebula was lit up light a candle even from my suburban location and I was able to observe considerably more detail than I've ever achieved with my budget 2" Revelation, even when I've used it at a dark sky site.

I got it from FLO for £149 which would leave you with some change to put towards your next purchase. 

I cant wait to take it to next dark sky session!

James

Forgive my ignorance,but what would a more expensive eyepiece show,that this really good eyepiece does,nt?

Just interested.

Generally speaking the more expensive the eyepiece the better it is. By better I mean brighter image, more clarity in the detail, pin sharp across a wider FOV, better true colour repreantation, better build quality, more forgiving etc. Thats not to say, as with all things, you can sometimes pay more for just the brand name too. The difference between a budget eyepiece and a medium price one can sometimes be slight, but when you're looking at something which is often very faint and usually in less than ideal viewing conditions a litte improvement can sometimes make a significant difference. As you move into the high end of the market the difference would become even more apparent I'm sure although I must admit I am yet to experience this myself!

James

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-swan-eyepiece.html

In all fairness with your scope it is more forgiving on eyepiece quality. I had a nexstar 8 and used cheaper, mid range eyepieces and the views were perfectly good.

My largest ep wich gave fantastic space wLk views was a swan 40mm (see above) and comes in at less than half the cost.

Steve

the differences will be slight but noticeable in my opinion. the more expensive eyepieces will be better corrected across the whole field down to f4 so in effect future proof to some extent, although with a faster scope, a long focal length eyepiece may present problems with exit pupil. also, buying a used top quality eyepiece will also reduce any losses when sold as they hold their value better than some other options.

my preferences though might not be the same as yours though of course but I am the sort of person that would always prefer to buy a better product used than a lesser product new.

Archived