NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Session at Blaenavon 25/1/2014

Matthew

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonights session is off folks,it looks like there might be some clear spells after 5 pm but the wind is the deciding factor 18/19 mph..........you can double that by the time you get up on top of the mountain.I will sort out a date for the next session later

I think that's a pretty fair call Matt thanks for making it so early

It looks 50/50 at best at the moment and the wind is not in our favour - if I get a chance going to set up in the back garden and try and get the Supernova- M81 and 82 are some of the few regularly observable objects from my North facing garden so hopefully worth the effort.

Thanks for letting us know. As others will, I'm going to try and spot the supernova from the garden if we get a clear spell. Going to have my first go at estimating magnitude too - have a chart from aavso. Has anyone here done any variable star observing?

Disappointed about the session being called off but a good call IMO given the wind. On a positive note its stayed clear in my neck of the woods and I managed to bag the supernova. I gotcha SN 2014J! Really is very prominent even in light polluted skies and I easily viewed it with direct vision at x100. Also I was quite surprised to get some mottling of M82 with the dark dust area revealing itself with averted vision.

Archived