Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Sun 3 January 2014 white light

Bizibilder

Todays Sun - 54/130 frames and a close-up that was frame restricted by the clouds rolling in!! I only just packed away before it poured down again!

PS I killed the dust bunnies         :ph34r: - - - - - - - - -- - - - -!!!!!!!  :icon_albino:   :bunny:  :bunny:   :icon_albino:

3January2014JPEG.jpg

3January2014AnnotatedJPEG.jpg

3January2014AR1944.jpg

3January2014LongampLat.jpg

You can take similar white light pictures by buying or making a solar filter for the objective end of your scope using some Baader Solar film:-

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

Then attaching your DSLR to your scope focuser using a T-ring. There are different ones for Canon or Nikon cameras, these are about £20

There are actually two types of Baader solar Film, ND5.0 and ND3.8. I have linked to the ND 5.0 as this will allow you to view the sun as well as image it. the ND 3.8 is purely for imaging.

The great work you can see here from Roger / Bizibilder is white light which lets you see sun spots and granulation. To be able to see prominences you need to view in Hydrogen alpha. This will cost you £500 + for a starter scope

As you have already mentioned - DO NOT look at the sun without proper filters in place. That includes placing a camera on your scope as the focused light will even damage you cameras sensor

Ian

Archived