Photographing Planets

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Davide and welcome to SGL. :) You can image planets using a dslr but it's far easier with a webcam. Planets tend to "shimmer" in the atmosphere and only appear to settle down and stay stable for a second or two every now and then. It's those brief seconds of stability you are trying to capture to get a good picture.

The best tool for the job is a webcam that is running off 15 or 20 frames per second or more. Dslr's are more suited to imaging dso's using long exposure photography and guided tracking on an equatorial mount. With planets all you need is a tracking mount which can be alt/az or eq.

After a few mins of gathering several hundred (or a couple of thousand) frames, the images produced can be aligned and stacked using Registax (free to download) and the worst frames thrown away whilst keeping the best ones. The resulting composite image can then be touched up and finished off using image processing software like Photoshop. Hth :)

Thanks very much for that Brantuk. That would explain the rather disappointing results I've been getting recently. I've been coming round to the idea of imaging with a webcam or something similar and now I'm convinced that's the way to go. Many thanks also for the warm welcome :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A webcam is the proven way to get planets, as they are bright enough you may need to increase the image a bit more meaniong getting a 5x barlow.

There a bit of a maximum exposure time on Jupiter - I have heard that for exposures over 90 seconds you get blurring, this is down to the rotational speed of Jupiter. After that time the surface features have moved enough that stacking software finds it difficult.

Mentioned in case you try for 3 or 5 minutes and get a poor result. One warning is I think it was 90 seconds but may have it wrong. Someone may supply better information.

I was always under the impression that the rotational limit on Jupiter was around 40 seconds - but I also could be wrong.

It will depend on the level of detail you get and if the rotation is even perceivable at that scale. I suspect that for most of us seeing is much more of an issue.

Personally I've always struggled with the 5x barlows, I prefer the 2, 2.5 and 3x barlows depending on conditions.

cheers

Ant

Davide Simonetti..........H,  Everyone who asks is always directed to check out this book. here is a link to what others say about the book,  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/173364-making-every-photon-count-steve-richards/  and available from FLO the sponsor of this site.

This book is a fantastic deep sky imaging reference but does not cover planetary imaging.  So unless you are planning on some DSO imaging I would not recommend that you buy the book.

Cheers,

Chris

I've tried this with both a webcam and using mutiple photos (taken manually with a cable release) from a 600D. The one thing I haven't yet tried is using the 600D's video camera to take the movie footage. Also, I think I read somewhere that it's possible to control a Canon using a laptop, in order to capture a large number of photos in a very small space of time, and that you can get good results that way.

As ant says, it's the seeing that's the real problem!

This book is a fantastic deep sky imaging reference but does not cover planetary imaging.  So unless you are planning on some DSO imaging I would not recommend that you buy the book.

Cheers,

Chris

I stand corrected.  A Beginners Guide To Deep Sky Astro-photography. Still a good Book though.

There is an option in a piece of software called Backyard EOS http://www.backyardeos.com/ that uses the video / live view with an artificial and quite clever 5 x zoom for planetary imaging on a Canon DSLR. I think if I remember rightly though the 400D might not support this function. Worth a check, and there is a trial version so you can at least find out for free. Great software and an absolute bargain for the full version.

Alternatively, and this is a much better way of imaging planets, you are way better off going down the webcam route. The classic SPC900NC was the weapon of choice for ages. They got silly-money expensive second hand for a while but are now coming don in price, probably because there are so many new alternatives that are better supported under newer operating systems.

Some people have had success with value range webcams costing under a fiver (I got one for 1.99 from Tesco that captured a half decent Jupiter) and I have had great success using a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-H5D-00003-Lifecam-Cinema-HD/dp/B002I3IRY8/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1388499024&sr=1-3&keywords=lifecam+cinema. Very stable and the frame rate is nice and high.

You'll need a way to attach a webcam (once the lens is removed) and maybe an IR filter (which is usually removed along with the lens) as lack of IR filter can cause a problem with sharpness. An old film canister or ready-made adapter can be sourced easily and for very little. At least you can try it out and see what you think before considering maybe a second hand DMK or similar. I got an Imaging Source DMK21 second hand on here for less than my second hand EOS1000D cost. It's really great for planets.

Try the cheap route first though, see if it's the kind of think you might be into before upgrading.

cheers and best of luck

Chris

There is a fairly new member to SGL with 127mak called Christopher Davenport and he is producing some amazing images from his little mak, I'm sure he will be along shortly.

Also there is a Lifecam already modified on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lifecam-Cinema-HD-Webcam-with-1-25-Telescope-Adaptor-for-Astronomy-Not-SPC900-/400631025223?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Webcams&hash=item5d47784e47

Oh, and I meant to say try it without the barlow first, when you get that sorted move up to a 2x then maybe 3x or even 5x although this might well push the limits of your scope due to aperture.

I would bin the diagonal too - if you can't get focus without it you can probably remove the lens part of your barlow which will leave you with a handy extension tube at no extra cost!!!

And on the rotation rate of Jupiter, 40 seconds at 10fps or higher (in sharpcap etc.) gives quite decent results to get started. It will at least give you around 400+ frames as something to practice with in Registax and will avoid rotation issues. I use Registax version 5.1 instead of 6 - I have found it much more intuitive and better supported around the web in tutorials etc.

There is a good Registax tutorial here on planetary processing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daXevwCNi4k

Oh, and there is a bit of freeware called castrator http://www.astrokraai.nl/castrator.php that lets you trim out any spare frame you don't want. This significantly reduces file size and processing time. Very handy when you are still learning the craft!

Cheers

Wow thanks so much for all these tips. I feel so much more confident I'll get a good image. I just tried altering an old webcam but it may have been to old as my new laptop won't recognise it...so it's off to the shops. Of course typically the weather has turned so no clear skies tonight. Have a very happy new year everyone and clear skies for 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression that the rotational limit on Jupiter was around 40 seconds - but I also could be wrong.

It will depend on the level of detail you get and if the rotation is even perceivable at that scale. I suspect that for most of us seeing is much more of an issue.

The limit due to rotation depends on (amongst other things) image scale and camera pixel size.  Unless you're using WinJupos then I'd say the limit is closer to two to three minutes for the UK for most people.  Or at least, if it's significantly different from that then you'll know why :)

James

I've been reading this thread, it's interesting... just out of curiosity, can anyone recommend a decent webcam, within a reasonable price range, for a complete beginner in astrophotography? Eventually I'd like to photograph Jupiter and Venus in particular.

The SPC900 webcam is worth having if you can pick one up for around the £50 mark.  They're only available used.

Otherwise the ZW Optical ASI034MC looks interesting, but it's quite new and I've not seen any images from it posted here yet.  Perhaps also worth considering if you can find one second hand is the Imaging Source DFK21U04.  I wouldn't personally buy one new.

James

3minutes at 10 fps with Jupiter is the limit giving you 1800 frames.  A 5x barlow will be far too much for your scope.  You might manage a 3x but 2x will be most used.

I've regularly gone to about 3.5x using barlows and extensions whilst imaging with an SPC900.  With the smaller pixels in the ASI120 that I now use there's no need to be quite so extreme and I stick to 2x or 2.5x.  5x probably would work given a sufficiently bright target, but keeping a target on a small camera sensor at that focal length can be a nightmare and you'd have way exceeded the limit of resolution of the scope so there's no real value in it.

James

The SPC900 webcam is worth having if you can pick one up for around the £50 mark.  They're only available used.

Otherwise the ZW Optical ASI034MC looks interesting, but it's quite new and I've not seen any images from it posted here yet.  Perhaps also worth considering if you can find one second hand is the Imaging Source DFK21U04.  I wouldn't personally buy one new.

James

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate that.

I will look out for those. I am happy to spend around £50 for a good piece of equipment.

There is a fairly new member to SGL with 127mak called Christopher Davenport and he is producing some amazing images from his little mak,

And I stupidly forgot JamesF, he has also done some amazing images on a 127mak.

Sorry James.  :embarrassed:

Archived