Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any recommendations for a good finder scope?

The red dot finder that came with my Celestron Nexstar 8SE is killing me. For transportation reasons, I often have to unmount the red dot finder, and when it comes time to set it back up, I spend too much time fiddling with it to get it lined back up. It's just too plastic not rigid enough, and the mount is sloppy. Sometimes there isn't enough thread in the alignment screws to bring the finder into range with the telescope, which forces me to do sloppy things like put shims under the mount, etc. On top of that, it's annoying how the red dot covers up the target in the finder.

So I'm looking for a solid finder scope - one with a rigid mounting mechanism and that is easy to adjust quickly. I think I prefer straight through rather than right angle. If having an illuminated scope really improves accuracy, then that's a feature I would be looking for too. Any recommendations or favorites out there?

What is a good magnification for a finder scope? And what about those 1x reflex finders?

I imagine there are a few 9x 50mm Skywatcher straight through finderscopes lying around from Dobsonian upgrades to the 90-degree version.

They are only £43 new (plus £5 for the shoe) so a second hand item shouldn't break the bank.

The one I use on the 8" is like a mini telescope.

The 6x 30mm Skywatchers are only £26 if the 50mm is too heavy at 500 grams (£46 for illuminated).

I am not sure what would be best weight wise for the Nexstar 8SE.

Note - the straight through finders will give an upside down image.

Have a look at the Telrad finders and Rigel Quick finder. I think you'll find either of those pretty satisfactory. Alternatively a multi reticle finder like the WO finder clones are very effective (I say "clones" cos they're exactly the same thing but cheaper).

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

http://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-multi-reticle-red-dot-finderscope-for-refractors-with-metal-body-p-1692.html

I have a Telrad and the Multi Reticle one and get on well with both. The Quick finder is similar to the Telrad just in a different raised position. Hth :)

The 9x50mm RACI finder is a joy to use, think they are around £60. I have not used the Red dot (or the straight through 9x50mm I have in a box) since getting it.

It's not the smallest/lightest finder, but it's not massive and it works really well. I really like the way that you can also rotate it around so the eyepiece can be more conveniently located, so no matter where the finder is you can usually move the eyepiece to one side and get a good and easy to reach view. Also the image through the 9x50 is really good, like half a pair of binos so you can make out things that can't be seen with the naked eye. Very handy for cantering on dim galaxies etc.

If you're putting it on and off the tube I would expect some amount of re-centring would be necessary regardless of type, but it shouldn't take long? I normally do this while doing star align, just check between main eyepiece and finder while centring a star and give the finder a small tweak, I'd probably spend no more than about 30sec doing this and then be done.

Hi, I have the Rigel Quickfinder and the 9x50RACI. I'd second all that Louis' has said about the 9x50, a bit hefty but really good to use. The Rigel Quickfinder by contrast is light and a bit plasticky but surprisingly sturdy in use. Comes with 2 self adhesive bases (very adhesive!) into which the finder simply clips into very securely. It hold its adjustment very well and like the Telrad, being an illuminated bullseye  is very easy to use and works well. 

I have Rigel mounted on top of 7x60 RACI finder, fitted to 150 reflector - best of both worlds.

I do initial finding using Rigel with RACI eyepiece swung out of the way and when ready turn it back into position and do final finding using RACI.

This also has advantage of elevating Rigel to where it needs to be (in my view) to make it comfortable for use, without additional risers and all of this on fairly small scope.

That sounds really neat - (The Rigel mounted to the RACI). Do you have any pictures by chance? It doesn't get "wobbly" like that?

Even though I have a goto scope, I secretly enjoy looking for stuff myself. It's worth the investment to me to but the right equipment for that part of the process

Be careful about generic finder mounting bases, a Celestron has wider spaced mounting holes than a Skywatcher so the standard ones don't fit. If you plan on attaching this kind of finder, you can get SCT dovetail mounting bases, or alternatively, get a Celestron finder.

That sounds really neat - (The Rigel mounted to the RACI). Do you have any pictures by chance? It doesn't get "wobbly" like that?

I have modified Rigel base to fit the finderscope:

IMG_7726.jpg

and here showing tie wrap slots:

IMG_7727.jpg

Everything fitted:

IMG_7729.jpg

In use (as RACI finderscope) - you can see that Rigel is not much bigger than 32mm Plossl eyepiece:

IMG_7734.jpg

In use as x1 finder (with eyepiece swung out of the way):

IMG_7737.jpg

It is rock steady and very convenient.

I have found that Rigel works well only when you have your eye very close to it (can't compare it with Telrad, but some people report Rigel being slightly more sensitive in this respect), so having it well away from the main telescope tube makes it easy to get your head where you need.

I don't think I would have been able to fit both Telrad and RACI finder on small telescope like my 150.

Some people simply get rid of finderscope and use only x1 finder, but I wanted both.

• 3 months later...

Archived