NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Home build observatory

Garethr

Happy Gareth - just realised you've got you've got a catchy pop tune for your project that I love over my car radio ...

"Room without a roof" is a lyric from Pharrell Williams' Oscar nominated song, "Happy." The term, room without a roof, is basically an idiomatic expression meaning that there is no limitation to how far you can take yourself in life.  :grin:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Need a little help please :)

Im looking for ideas on how to make the front edge where the roof rolls over the front wall weather tight.  I have a couple of ideas but they seem either too simple or stupidly complicated. Wonder if anyone has any pics they could post, or descriptions on how they made their obsy weather tight. Have ordered the track and wheels so hopefully they will be here for the weekend as the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

This is a photo of my south side. It's not very easy to see but it's the only photo I have of that side as it's very hard to get to.

The rolling roof frame basically just overhangs the south wall by 5cm (2 inch). The roof sheets add even more overhang.

mini-IMG_9411.JPG

I intentionally left a bit of a gap so that air can circulate. The other side of the roof (warm room side) is also quite open between the roof joists. I was hoping it would help preventing dew and keep the scope room temperature near the outside temperature even when the roof is closed.

on my build i wanted to make the roof slightly longer than the length of the walls therefore once clad with no big gaps the rain will trip off and not run inside, the roof pannels will over hang the sides so no problem there. But as i bought this obsy second hand the walls and everything but the roof had been re made leaving the roof about an inch smaller than the walls, rebuilding the roof looked to big a job for me to take apart and rebuild in the short time i needed as all my equipment was installed so i added a sloping drip flange to on side which extends to 2 inches, this simple idea worked a treat and as of yet i`ve had no problems at all with rain getting in. 

i`ll take a snap later when it stops raining here.

as for the soffets sides i stapled some of the damp proof membrane that builders use for damp course on bricks to the sides, this allows movement and again works amazingly well, it also allows air to get into the scope room as there is a bit of a gap between the roof panels and the walls of the obsy.      

Any pics always help.

Will be trying to form a type of captive rail system for the sides which should let in the air but keep out the water its the front I'm worried about.

The front and left hand side are where the wind and rain as they are to the West/ South West.

Like Chris, I just have the roof overlapping the base by a couple of inches with a gap for ventillation.  The vertical gaps I sealed with brush type draught excluder.  No horizontal rain gets in :)

Happy day, good progress the rolling roof is built and on! Still need to fit the side "cheeks" and complete the details at the front and back but the bulk of the build is done.

Have taken all you'd suggestions on board and will be using draught excluders front and back to complete the weather seals with a 50 mm overhang at the front and the felt left long to create a weathertight joint when the roof is closed.

Used 4 wheels each rated at 200kg which is overkill but they looked good quality and were not too expensive at about £20 each and the track was approx £30 a side with vat and delivery it came in total £200 or there about. Roof rolls beautifully with just little finger to get it moving so really happy with that. For tonight have just used temporary stops as seen in pics and secured it down with a few bits of timber in case!!

Still remember reading about roofs blowing off in the storms earlier this year :(

Tomorrow hoping to get all the felt fitted and make it completely water tight as it seems our Indian summer is now over.

Last job is to order some latches for locking down at the end of the night and was thinking of using large versions of the flight ace type latch although I'm not sure what they are called seem to remember someone used them on one of the other forums so will have a look to see what they were called and where I can get them from.

A few pics below "to keep Gina happy" showing roof on and the wheels and track. Temp end stops and a couple of bits of timber also on view in case the wind picks up over night. All going well should be able to post pics of finished roof tomorrow :)post-32109-0-88424500-1413046765_thumb.jpost-32109-0-15755400-1413046833_thumb.jpost-32109-0-49765200-1413046857_thumb.j

Hi uhb

The main pad is existing and about 4" thick. The Obsy is then built off brick piers at each corner. The main pier for the telescope is 1m x1m x1m approx with a 150mm U Chanel set in. The whole thing is then covered with a spiral tube with re bar inside and filed with concrete. Pier bas and main slab are independant with a 30mm gap between the 2 filled with polystyrene.

Work continued today on the roof with a bad forecast for tonight we need to get things done so warm room roof is now felted and watertight. Rolling roof is complete bar felt but seems ok with just mastic joints between the panels. One small leak but it's good to see almost watertight. Side cheeks fitted and front and back down stands on with the draught excluder to the rear as there is a weather bar on the warm room which will prevent any water getting in that end. On the front I found a rubber type draught excluder for garage doors which seems to be working well together with the over hang and front down stand. Couldn't find the toggle latches that I wanted to use so settled for turnbuckles as the forecast is for windy and wet tonight. Sorry no pics as it's dark now but will post next time. :)

A rubber roof is a good way to keep it water tight, there not expensive and there easy to put on.....My small 2 part roof, the rubber is held in place with stainless steel staples, i can't remember the suppler but there are quite few on here that have used this type of roof cover so a company name will be a long soon'ish.......

Thanks Tinker.

I am using industrial grade roofing felt that's supposed to last 30 years !

We just ran out of time today so are relying on mastic between the joints of the aliminum panels.

Just been out to check and a few leaks now. :(

Need a day to get the main roof covered.

So latest is hopefully we are now water tight. Put the rest of the felt on the roll off roof today and went round checking everything so we will have to wait and see but all looks ok. Added the sliding door to the warm room and did the last few odd jobs that should mean all that's left is to fit out the inside. Power and data/usb cables to be pulled through the trunking and lighting to fit. Will be using some LED fittings from work one with a red film over the top. Loads of sockets to go in for laptop and all the other sundries we use :)

Have got a couple of weeks booked off for middle of Nov to do these bits plus commissioning everything and trying to get everything talking. A couple of pics show turnbuckles fitted and the sliding door as well as a shot from the outside. I still want to clad the whole thing with timber to soften the appearance but that can happen any old time.

post-32109-0-89682900-1413735621_thumb.j

post-32109-0-72253900-1413735639_thumb.j

post-32109-0-79124900-1413735662_thumb.j

There is no need for rubber flaps on the sides & turnbuckles to hold the roof down between sessions.

Do it this way  - http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/21541-runner-detail/  -  there is no way that the roof can lift doing it this way.

The sides of my obsy roof simply go a bit lower than the runners. -  http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/image/23967-obsy-now-stained-a-darker-colour-so-it-blends-in-better-with-the-surroundings/

There is a rubber flap at each end which simply flips over & covers the gap at the observing room end & the other one deflects the water on to the fixed warm roof.

This runner arrangement is brilliant. I had my obsy roof open today during the gusty windy conditions & it didn;t move at all.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Archived