Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Home build observatory

Garethr

At last some progress.  Managed to break out the slab and then a second beneath :(   Then dug pit for pier foundation put the re bar in and set the main steel for the pier.  A lot of under growth still to clear but those little yellow and black b*%%£*s were still around so a second dose applied tonight.  Will pour the concrete tomorrow in 2 stages, first will be half the base and main steel the will add the spiral ducting over the steel and a second pour Saturday all being well.

Then its on to ground clearance and getting the base sorted.

Pics below 

post-32109-0-37838500-1409257809.jpgpost-32109-0-30420600-1409257860.jpgpost-32109-0-37636700-1409257883.jpg

1st pic is pit and re bar 

2nd pic shows main steel in place and spiral sleeve in background 

3 pic is main steel with pampass grass and almost ex wasp nest.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st pour of concrete for pier base done today. Need to get hold a a couple of parts for the bottom of the pier mount tomorrow morning and make the shuttering ready to pour 2 nod stage hopefully Sunday.

Today the base had set enough to trim down the main steel and re bar allowing me to fit the spiral and trim this to height.

I am aiming to have the mount base plate set at about 1m above floor level.  Finished adding the final bolts that will secure the top plate which is attached to the mount itself.  I have used 4 x 20mm bolts to join the two together so there should be no movement at all but I can level if need be.

all dry fitted for a final check and tomorrow the last bit of shuttering and 2nd pour of concrete and setting the base plate into the wet concrete atop of the spiral once filled.

have added a couple of pics showing the base plate with bolts extending below ready to set into concrete with 20mm bolts ready for top plate and a picture showing how it will sit on top of the spiral tube once filled with concrete.

post-32109-0-84979800-1409430156.jpgpost-32109-0-55684100-1409430141.jpg

2nd stage pour completed today by the two of us. Ouch painfully poured the rest of the concrete for the base and filled the pier and fitted the base plate for the mount. Feel like a bit of progress this weekend now it's down to the carpentry which should be more fun than digging holes and mixing concrete but happy with the results so far. Apart from a problem with the spiral deforming at the top which gave a problem setting the base plate and levelling all seems good. Have some pics and will post tomorrow, next task is to set the timber base level and install floor then up with the walls :)

Looking good Gareth. Very professional job. Better by far than my amateurish attempt at pouring a pillar! Hope the back is easing...

20mm bolts are certainly chunky and shouldn't allow any movement. I've used M12 threaded rod but looking at your pics, I might see if someone can turn me some 20mm diameter posts with 12mm threaded ends. 

John

Aoraki.  Yes i have over engineered the mount but was not sure how straight and level the pier was going to turn out as the spiral tube did not appear to have a great deal of strength. As it turns out its only about 2mm out from top to botton and 1mm out across the plate. but now I can fit the top plate with a couple of small shims and all should be nice and level.

Just as a thought all this work to produce a solid mount and pier yet the final connection will be the single bolt up through the mount. I appreciate that everything will be mounted flush (hopefully) are we over engineering things in the persuit of perfection. Just a thought as my back still hurts from weekend of pouring concrete ?

A bit more progress this weekend. Finished clearing plants after strict instructions from SWMBO:) have laid the base framework of 6x4 timbers and installed the joists just need to infill with noggins during the coming week and then the floor can go down. A few design changes over the weekend after laying out a mock up on the ground we changed the layout slightly to make an easier build. Also decided to add insulation under the warm room floor to keep those toes toasty warm on those winter nights. Also painted the pier just to see how it was going to look as I'm not the most patient person. Happy so far and will add more pics soon. For now just a pic of the pier.post-32109-0-96968300-1410121778.jpgpost-32109-0-11440500-1410121874.jpg

Hi. It's 200mm dia. We use it in construction for air supply to office space. Paint was cheap Matt black aerosol from Halford type shop with grey primer. Make sure you wash with detergent and dry before painting as there is an oily coating applied after manufacture.

As reported a small amount of progress with the sub frame in place and levelled with the joists in. Just need to add the noggins between then the insulation under the warm room to the rear. The pier is offset to allow room for a credenza type unit to be installed so I can store all the bits that go with this hobbypost-32109-0-88507700-1410289856.jpg

Seems to compress the pics somewhat the pier is a bit taller in real life :)

So not the greatest day for progress, been unhappy about one of the corner supports as the ground was very soft and so bit the bullet tonight and lifted the whole base frame ready to redo that corner. Also decided that it would be a good chance to make another change to design. After deciding to insulate the warm room floor fixing some kind of means to hold the polystyrene insulation was a bit of a problem. Now the whole frame has been lifted and is resting upright I think the next move will be to fix a few Ali composite panels under the frame so when lowered back down I can fill the spaces between the joists and noggins with polystyrene across all the Obsy under floor area, my thinking is if I can keep the scope at a steady temperature at all times this may help.? Not to hot in summer and not to cold in winter ie no dramatic changes. I have loads of these panels and loads of the insulation so why not use them.

At this stage feel free to jump in and shout if you think the plan for keeping the scope at a steady temp is a "wrong un" . Feeling a bit depressed about going backwards with build but have learnt that it's best too take the pain now rather than try to change things later

i`ve had my obsy up and running for a while now and having gone through a winter and summer i would say that the floor has never felt too hot or too cold, i`ve only got my floorboards on 4x4 inch timber batterns and floorbards are about 1/3rd inch thick, no problem with them and it never feels cold so i wouldn`t bother insulation the floor.

the walls and roof are another thing, the wall that gets all day sun does get warm, again timber but if it was brick or metal cladding it would be very hot indeed, the roof being metal sheets does get hot but soon cools in the night air.

my walls and roof are not insulated as i want the inside of the scope room to be the same as or near to the outside temp as possiable, i retire to my warm room which again is not insulated but with the little heater on it soon becomes very warm indeed, infact i`ve been out with shorts on sitting in the warm room lovely and warm with a little thermostatic heater running in the winter months, lovely.

i`ve had no condensation problems at all even on my electrics something that if wall and floors and roofs are insulated can produce.

i`d certainly think twice about insulation.

Red dwalf ,

Thanks for that I'm prob being a bit over kill with insulation as it's free but hate to throw stuff away (prob a trait with us people) the Obsy will get direct sun on 2 walls most days so was thinking this might maintain a steady temp

Update for today, corner sorted that was a bit soft. More concrete used. Have fixed the panels below the floor and put down a barrier on the ground to prevent weeds growing. Noggins going in (about half done ) hopefully floor down next weekend if I can get a day off :(

Top plate for mount has had a first fitting to check all is well and we can now machine the last holes and polar alignment stud.

Also will be putting the insulation in before the floor is screwed down.

Tried out mount plate lady night and worked like a dream so just polar alignment post to add and we are good to go. All felt really solid so quite proud of ourselves and lots of plans being made for first light. On another note which scope would be best to use as a guide scope I have an 80mm Carson or Meade ext80 weight versus quality perhaps your advice would be appreciated.

Update on progress, Floor now installed with 4" insulation under warm room with double boarded 22mm panels. Mount top plate added and checked all is well so happy bunny. First framework for wall underway just some diagonal support to add then this will be lifted out and the outer skin fixed on (Ali panel) the the timber cladding fixed and painted as access will be almost impossible once complete.

Couple of pics added to show mount and frame.

post-32109-0-09189700-1411399927.jpg

post-32109-0-64844700-1411399978_thumb.j

Managed to sneak a day off yesterday so the two of us managed to push on a bit. 1st frame removed and the panels fitted and joints have a mastic seal applied to keep out the water. Rear wall and second side frames also built although the wall with the drop down section still needs the flap section to be added.

Hopefully another good day on Saturday and all the walls will be clad with the panels just leaving the cladding to add later. Still working out roof details but have a plan :)

Pics below.

post-32109-0-62116200-1411653010_thumb.j

post-32109-0-99402100-1411653033_thumb.j

Further progress yesterday, rear wall Ali panels fitted along with starting one side. Completed all framework for walls and doors.

Ducts for cables next to instal and bring the power supply up and into the warm room into a small distribution board.

Insulation for the warm room is 50% done,so next part is roof to warm room finish fitting the Ali panels then the biggie rolling roof.

We have decided to add 2 drop down flaps to give a slightly better angle to get closer to the horizon. Not sure how often we will use the but easier to put them in at this stage than add later.

A couple of pics added but no works today. First pic is view from front with warm room to the back you can just make out the insulation in the wall voids.

Next pic is view from left side showing the black panels added. Quite like the dark "Death Star " look :)

post-32109-0-00214300-1411902742_thumb.j

post-32109-0-04414300-1411902786_thumb.j

Weekly update, after a day in Bournemouth visiting my new granddaughter Isabelle :). Today more progress all walls now have the Ali panels fitted and most of the insulation which has turned out hard work as the blocks all need to be sliced to fit the cavity as they were designed for laying on top of a roof. Ceiling is fitted in the warm room and a temp cover over the main room, outer door fitted just need cladding to make weatherproof. We fitted the mount just as a little uplift on the motivation side and to check clearance all round and fitted the scope.

Made the drop down flap for the SE elevation then spent an hour deciding if we really need the flap on the SW elevation, decision made yep we go for it. Need to work on the design for the roll off roof now and order the wheels and tracks ,paying for something will hurt after getting this far for nowt :)

A few pics to show the Death Star as it's been christened.

Screws visable will be blacked out

post-32109-0-69675900-1412534633_thumb.j

post-32109-0-21559400-1412534654_thumb.j

post-32109-0-58982200-1412534674_thumb.j

Archived